Question for you ATC

AAPalmTree

We were on descent coming into a busy center/approach area with wx. We asked for 5 to 10 right for a small area of wx no more than 3-5 miles in diameter. The response was “everybody’s going through that you’ll be fine.” Couldn’t get another word in and wanted to respect your airspace by not deviating on our own. We clearly knew this weather would not pose a serous threat to safety but nevertheless we didn’t want to fly through it by choice. We encountered 30 seconds moderate turbulence that could have been easily avoidable. I have been thoroughly impressed with ATC for numerous reasons. This one left a bad taste in my mouth.
What gives?

Sometimes I just don't have room for you to deviate due to other traffic, but if that was the case I certainly wouldn't have been so glib about it. This scenario sounds like the controller either just didn't want to do coordination or didn't justify their reasoning properly.

Sometimes I just don't have room for you to deviate due to other traffic, but if that was the case I certainly wouldn't have been so glib about it. This scenario sounds like the controller either just didn't want to do coordination or didn't justify their reasoning properly.

I get yal are super busy and there’s a lot more going on that we pilots don’t see.

However, I’m not going to charge through some weather bc of some lines painted on a radar scope.

I would never decline a deviation for airspace.
Traffic though...

This right here! I could care less about lines painted on my scope. If you need to deviate for weather and there's no traffic conflicts, I'll make the necessary point outs to accommodate the deviation request, but if there is a traffic conflict that changes things. My first priority is to keep metal from hitting metal.

C2FAF7B5-AEB4-4ABD-934D-61D3FB2A1EFC.jpeg

If not, then

43B1D311-3885-4029-9432-516CB7CAEAA6.gif

Sounds like a controller that got overly frustrated and didn't handle it well.... If they are running a sequence and you are the 1 guy in the middle wanting to do something different then those in front or behind it is frustrating but I've never just said no for that reason. I've certainly given more information like a ride report from those directly ahead and given that but if guys are reporting mod+ and smooth elsewhere the plan needs to change. At the same time if you have one guy in the middle of 15 going around weather that wants to deviate 30 miles further then everybody just because they don't want more then a light ripple you have to at some point maintain the integrity of what you're doing. Sometimes that means letting that one do it and vectoring him even further and making him last. Again the controller shouldn't be outright denying your deviation without some choices given to you but I've certainly been there. Obviously without knowing details it's hard to tell whether this was a good controller in a tough situation being a little short, or a bozo just being a jackass. If this is dfw I can probably look into the exact situation very easily. Or for that matter if anyone has a question pertaining to something in ZFW I can always try to provide some clarity even if it is someone just being an ass.

Back