Question for you ATC guys and gals...career change

What the hell is PUBNAT2

LOL Sorry, Each announcement that is put out is a Public Nation Wide Announcement (hence the PUBNAT) and each one has the number that it is... 2/15 was pubnat1, 5/2 was pubnat2 and so on... hope that helps!

Yes it does, thanks!

Now that I think about it I have this problem.

We just moved to Centerville and my fiance had to sign a two year contract with the hospital she works at because she is a new RN.

So we would not be able to pack it up and leave after I got hired. HMMM ,How long does it take to get hired again???

Possibly a year.
You can select a geographic preference near your area...
Plus you spend 3 months in Oklahoma City for training

(so like we all said, apply now!)

Hmm, but whats in my area?? I live near Macon, GA it's about an hour and a half from Atlanta.

So the FAA just puts you where they need you based on a geographic location preferance?

Go to school because you want the education.

For becoming a controller, PUT IN YOU PAPERWORK. Maybe at towers and tracons, the CTI school will help, but what I have seen at centers, it helps very little and since you have no idea of where you could end up, just go for it.
I came in OTS 23.5 years ago, just watch, listen and learn, if you have what it takes, you'll make it and and if not, you won't, but either way you saved some money by not paying for CTI.

just my $0.02

Yes I am still going to ge my degree. I will either keep doing the professional aeronautics at Embry-Riddle, or I will just go to some state college locally and get a general degree for cheap.

Hmm, but whats in my area?? I live near Macon, GA it's about an hour and a half from Atlanta.

So the FAA just puts you where they need you based on a geographic location preferance?

FAA facilities in Georgia:

ARTCC: ZTL
TRACON: A80
Tower: ATL, CSG, PDK
Up/Down: AGS, SAV

If you're dead set on not moving, then it looks like Atlanta is closer than anything else...

I just can't move yet. I have just under 2 years left here. My fiance makes too much now to just leave and start all over again. Plus, she would have to pay back her bonus.

I just can't move yet. I have just under 2 years left here. My fiance makes too much now to just leave and start all over again. Plus, she would have to pay back her bonus.

Why can't you "live" in atlanta and go home on your off days? I did this for a couple years... lived in Overland Park, KS and worked in Orlando / Baton Rouge & London, ON. I was 'usually' home on the weekends except for a few weekend 'business meetings' :laff: in Miami & NOLA and it worked out fine.

Hmm, thats do-able I guess. The problem is that I actually like being around my fiance as much as possible. We have been together for over 2 years now and I still hang around her as much as I can.

I have some serious thinking to do

Hmm, thats do-able I guess. The problem is that I actually like being around my fiance as much as possible. We have been together for over 2 years now and I still hang around her as much as I can.

I have some serious thinking to do

Application to OKC: 9-18 months
OKC: 3 months
-------You're already at nearly 2 years---------
Trainee to CPC: 1-3+ years
Then possibility to transfer as well.

Remember, the earlier you get in, the better your seniority (assuming you intend to stick around with ATC, then this could be important).

I applied today!:nana2:

Fingers crossed!

I also decided to dump Embry-Riddle and go to my local state college and get a business management degree. I just need to go and apply to school now.

FAA facilities in Georgia:

ARTCC: ZTL
TRACON: A80
Tower: ATL, CSG, PDK
Up/Down: AGS, SAV

If you're dead set on not moving, then it looks like Atlanta is closer than anything else...

MCN tower is still FAA as well, unless something has changed recently.

Oh crap.. I can't believe I missed that considering he said he's near Macon :banghead:

Yeah my fiance works in Macon. Teh airport is only a 10 minute drive for me.

I applied for only Macon. I figured I have nothing to lose since I am still in school.

Yeah my fiance works in Macon. Teh airport is only a 10 minute drive for me.

I applied for only Macon. I figured I have nothing to lose since I am still in school.

Sorry about that... at least now you know the Georgia facilities that you aren't interested in going to :crazy:

Back