Question for airframe guys

pilotbry

I've had two 172s in two years come back at the end of a season with a bent firewall. There is a lot of switching aircraft between pilots so no way to really nail down when/who but is it possible that this can be caused by anything other than a crap landing? What about a hamfisted line guy/gal jerking it around with a tug? I watched my Aztec get yanked so hard with a tug that I thought the nose gear would have come off. I did find everything in the cabin shifted aft. Any serious opinions are appreciated. Thx

I have never heard of it being caused by anything other than nose wheel landings. It's sort of a known issue on 172s. I believe trafficinsight might be able to elaborate a little more.

I would suppose it's entirely possible. But the tail would have to be tied down or something IMO.

I've never seen it happen for any other reason than a bad landing.

Just as an aside, check the diagonal structure that runs from the lower part of the center console in the cockpit to the firewall. Both sides should be straight, if they're pinched in or bowed out then don't even think about flying the airplane until its fixed except to ferry it, very carefully, to the place doing the work.

Back