question: do WSO / NFOs have emergency controls?

ahmed

hi

I was watching this video about GLOC and after the jet recovers you hear "Bravo's got the jet" and im pretty sure that means the guy in the back (WSO / NFO - I'm not sure whether it was AF or Navy) is controlling the airplane. Does anyone know whether this is true

Some older American fighter backseats didn't have controls, but some of the newer one's do. It could have also been a trainer with an instructor in the back.

I believe some of the F-4 Phantoms did. I just finished reading "Palace Cobra" and it referred to this, but I'm not sure if it was the case on all models.

When I was in, the only Navy plane that had flight controls at any NFO seat was the S-3 and they are going going soon to be gone. EA6 E3, A6, F14 did not.

Not sure about the F model Hornet, but I would guess no.

I think even the Navy F-4s didnt have dual controls whereas the AF F4 did. At first the AF had two rated pilots in the F4 and later a pilot and wso.

Edit: seems like i remember some of the jets at the RAG (FRS) had dual control fighters, that were not "line fighters".

hi

I was watching this video about GLOC and after the jet recovers you hear "Bravo's got the jet" and im pretty sure that means the guy in the back (WSO / NFO - I'm not sure whether it was AF or Navy) is controlling the airplane. Does anyone know whether this is true

It could be that "Bravo" is also the Callsign for Vice-Wing Commander. If it was a trainer and he was onboard then it could be as simple as sayin he is getting some flight time.

hi

In a 2-seat jet, the occupants of the seats are designated as "alpha" (front seater) and "bravo" (back seater).

So, if my callsign were Buzz 11, the front seater would be Buzz 11 Alpha, and the back seater would be Buzz 11 Bravo. In the case of the video, the comm you mention might mean that the 'pitter is flying the airplane. Do you have a link to this video online? It wouldn't be difficult to tell what kind of aircraft it was based on the HUd video.

Another poster has it right that generally Navy 2-seat fighters do not have controls for the back seater, and USAF fighters do. The F-14, for example does not...and the F-15E does.

All fighter backseats have the most important emergency control: their own ejection seat handle(s).

Back