Question about phorias

rountineradar23

I've recently been issued a first class medical by my AME but was requested to give the FAA Form 8500-7 due to 6 diopters of hyperphoria and exophoria. Would this pose an issue? I don't have any double vision and tested for normal depth perception and I have a very slight corneal opacity in my right eye that doesn't affect my vision which was likely due to a previous infection or surgery. How are my outlooks on maintaining a first class medical?

Thanks!

6 prism diopter of vertical (hyperphoria) is very different than 6 prism diopters of horizontal (exophoria). Do you have the exact measurements of hyperphoria and exophoria?

Hard to say precisely without knowing the exact measurements. If most of that is exophoria and you have no double vision your prospects are good. If most of it is hyperphoria they may look at it a little harder.

Aaron Florkowski MD
FAA designated Senior AME
www.kansascityame.com

6 prism diopter of vertical (hyperphoria) is very different than 6 prism diopters of horizontal (exophoria). Do you have the exact measurements of hyperphoria and exophoria?

Hard to say precisely without knowing the exact measurements. If most of that is exophoria and you have no double vision your prospects are good. If most of it is hyperphoria they may look at it a little harder.

Aaron Florkowski MD
www.kansascityame.com
It seems my ophthalmologist put down 6 diopters of exophoria and 6 diopters of hyperphoria at the same time. My left eye does deviate upward and to right side. Again, no double vision though.

Hi routineradar23,

6PD of vertical phoria without double vision is unusual, about the only time we see it is in someone who was born with a misalignment, typically a 4th nerve palsy. There are other harmless causes however such as DVD (dissociated vertical deviation). If you do go to an eyecare physician for a Form 8500-7 I would have commit to a diagnosis/reason and have them put in the comments box that you do not have double vision (diplopia) in any field of gaze, and that this problem does not pose a threat to aviation safety. This should help.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
www.kansascityame.com

Hello,

Thank you for your input and in response to the cause of this: I was born with strabismus and I have received 2 eye muscle surgeries as an infant and early teenager to correct it. As a result, I use prism glasses and have 6PD of hyperphoria along with 6PD of exophora but I haven't ever noticed seeing double/diagnosed with diplopia. My AME has already faxed the 8500-7 form and it appears my ophthalmologist didn't make any comment regarding any diplopia, only fusion ability. Hopefully the FAA will send a follow-up letter sooner or later -only been 2 weeks.
Pretty nervous about this as I wish to obtain my ATP for a career, do you believe the FAA will take issue with this/deny a 1st class over this?
Thank you for your assistance!

Last edited:
Back