Question about overtime at a regional

I found it more productive to have a second job on days off then to pick up open time, especially on first year pay. Not only do I make more money than most open time trips, at the end of the day I am at home and actually sleep in my bed at the end of the night. Its hard being gone for a 4 day trip then pick up another 2, 3, or 4 day trip only to be right back to work for your next regularly assigned 4 day trip. All just for a few hundred bucks.

On top of that, you could learn a new skill. I always remember my medical is a heartbeat away from being yanked. That keeps me motivated to pursue non aviation sources of income.

Of course this debate could change the second I become captain and we get a good contract with any kind of soft pay.

I found it more productive to have a second job on days off then to pick up open time, especially on first year pay. Not only do I make more money than most open time trips, at the end of the day I am at home and actually sleep in my bed at the end of the night. Its hard being gone for a 4 day trip then pick up another 2, 3, or 4 day trip only to be right back to work for your next regularly assigned 4 day trip. All just for a few hundred bucks.

On top of that, you could learn a new skill. I always remember my medical is a heartbeat away from being yanked. That keeps me motivated to pursue non aviation sources of income.

Of course this debate could change the second I become captain and we get a good contract with any kind of soft pay.

What kind of second job were you able to do while at home?

hook_dupin said:

Funny you should say that. I have an older lady client that I do handyman work for. I'm positive she doesn't need some of the handyman services she calls me for.

I painted the ceiling to her very small laundry room late one evening only to look back and see her pulling up and chair just to watch me. As long as the check clears.....Bigalow Handyman at your service.

Back