Question about KMZJ

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Does anyone know if the public is allowed to go there?
i mean, c'mon, who wouldn't want to check out some of these aircraft before they reach their demise?

anyone have any info?

Thanks!

Mike

The public is not allowed to tour the place. You can however do touch and goes to your heart's content. Some times you can even do a full stop and taxi back but don't try to stop and get out anywhere.

Also, if you do go in there, be aware of the Apache base to the northwest of the runway (they used to use the call sign "Gunfighter") as well as the Air Force CASAs that do HALO assault drops on some of the aircraft at the southeast corner of the facility. Oh yeah, and also watch out for the A10s, F16s and Blackhawks that run up the MTR just to the west.

All that said, it's a fun place to go and it was 50.3 miles from IWA making it a perfect cross country training flight.

The public is not allowed to tour the place. You can however do touch and goes to your heart's content. Some times you can even do a full stop and taxi back but don't try to stop and get out anywhere.

Also, if you do go in there, be aware of the Apache base to the northwest of the runway (they used to use the call sign "Gunfighter") as well as the Air Force CASAs that do HALO assault drops on some of the aircraft at the southeast corner of the facility. Oh yeah, and also watch out for the A10s, F16s and Blackhawks that run up the MTR just to the west.

All that said, it's a fun place to go and it was 50.3 miles from IWA making it a perfect cross country training flight.

haha, too bad im outta DPA...

know of any bone yards the public can go to? haha, i just want to grab a throttle quadrant! (wow, am i a tool or what? haha)

Davis Monthan does tours, but you have to show up by car. Search google for the website. I doubt you can get into the aircraft and I know it costs something around $20-30ish.

Davis Monthan does tours, but you have to show up by car. Search google for the website. I doubt you can get into the aircraft and I know it costs something around $20-30ish.

im mean, they're junking thses airplanes, the ones that cant be used for parts, id pay sor some cool piece of airplane history, you know?

I second the "do touch and goes all day long" idea. I would give my student's the option to fly down there from KGEU to get practice in an uncontrolled environment. Pretty fun, especially with all the different kinds of traffic that come into there.

I second the "do touch and goes all day long" idea. I would give my student's the option to fly down there from KGEU to get practice in an uncontrolled environment. Pretty fun, especially with all the different kinds of traffic that come into there.

if only I lived in AZ. My favorite place to do "Im landing... NOT's" is at KMDW... Too bad KORD doesn't allow it :)

im mean, they're junking thses airplanes, the ones that cant be used for parts, id pay sor some cool piece of airplane history, you know?
They actually have their own auctions. You can buy components or complete aircraft (minus the instruments they'd rather you not have, etc).

The auction site should be accessible from the information site about Davis Monthan. Try google. If that doesn't work, I think it's linked from the wikipedia page.

I'll see what I can find.

They actually have their own auctions. You can buy components or complete aircraft (minus the instruments they'd rather you not have, etc).

The auction site should be accessible from the information site about Davis Monthan. Try google. If that doesn't work, I think it's linked from the wikipedia page.

I'll see what I can find.

thanks man!

Back