Question about headsets

ozone

To start: I am a total newbie. I just took my first lesson about 24 hours ago. I was told by my instructor that i am free to use his back up headsets, but he did mention that i would probably want my own soon enough. The backup headset I used started to really hurt in combination with my sunglasses.....so I think I need to find my own headset.

Anyway, as i have scoured the internet, I have noticed a wide range of prices (just missed a lightspeed ANR on ebay last night). I have also noticed that there are a few in-ear headset makers out there like "clarity aloft" (http://www.clarityaloft.com/). This kind of appeals to me since an in-ear headphone is what i use for my ipod etc.

Is there any utility in using a headset like this for a single engine prop like a cessna 172? Or are there other brands/styles that people recommend? Please feel free to post any and all suggestions.....Thanks!

To start: I am a total newbie. I just took my first lesson about 24 hours ago. I was told by my instructor that i am free to use his back up headsets, but he did mention that i would probably want my own soon enough. The backup headset I used started to really hurt in combination with my sunglasses.....so I think I need to find my own headset.

Anyway, as i have scoured the internet, I have noticed a wide range of prices (just missed a lightspeed ANR on ebay last night). I have also noticed that there are a few in-ear headset makers out there like "clarity aloft" (http://www.clarityaloft.com/). This kind of appeals to me since an in-ear headphone is what i use for my ipod etc.

Is there any utility in using a headset like this for a single engine prop like a cessna 172? Or are there other brands/styles that people recommend? Please feel free to post any and all suggestions.....Thanks!
I am probably wrong but arent those headsets designed for turbine aircraft? I have a Telex 30XT and it is great for me! It has ANR and is very comfortable for my head at least. If you could possibly find one to try on first then that would be great so you do not end up buying it then realizing that it is extremely uncomfortable.

the pictures on their website look like standard plugs to me....but again, I am a newbie. There's lots of gushing quotes from airshow performers, military people etc about how great these headsets are....but they were posted by the company. I totally hear you about trying stuff on 1st. I will look at the telex's....hadn't heard of those before, so thanks!

Plugs are the same from a Cessna to a Boeing. Airbus for some unknown reason had to be different.

The Clarity Aloft will be fine in a piston. Just get some molded earpieces ($50 each, usually).

Wow! nice price on those headphones....and such cheery colors too! $359 seems like a bargain compared to lots of other similar noise reduction headsets (45Db). http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ seems like a good place to check out.

Anyone use these yet?

I useually recomend that you get a basic nice passive headset for your private pilot training. I really wouldn't recomend spending more than 250$ at this point. The reason is that you don't know yet if this is something you'll be good at or want to take further.

Durring your training, try out as many models as you can.

Once you finish your PPL training, then reward yourself with a top of the line headset.

I haven't used the clarity aloft yet, but everybody I asked has raved about them.

My first instructor had the clarity aloft headset, but he said that replacement earpieces were ridiculously expensive. He made his own with foam earplugs and a pocket knife.

The backup headset I used started to really hurt in combination with my sunglasses.....so I think I need to find my own headset.

Try wire rim sunglasses, they don't hurt as much as plastic rims. If you already have wire rimmed glasses, try a different pair.

I went all out and bought a Bose Aviation X headset and needed to send it for repair after only four months. It is very comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time (6 to 8 hours) without hurting my head. It was very expensive and I needed to borrow a set while mine was in the shop. That was a pair of David Clarks. They were fairly comfortable too. You do not need to spend a lot of money to get a nice set. Try on as many as you can around the FBO. That might help you decide what brand fits you best.

Try wire rim sunglasses, they don't hurt as much as plastic rims. If you already have wire rimmed glasses, try a different pair.

Toria...thanks for the advice on the glasses...guess there is a reason for the old-school aviator glasses then. :) I have had a few more days to look around and i am quickly coming to the conclusion that I do indeed need to try a bunch of headsets before buying.

I useually recomend that you get a basic nice passive headset for your private pilot training. I really wouldn't recomend spending more than 250$ at this point. The reason is that you don't know yet if this is something you'll be good at or want to take further.

Once you finish your PPL training, then reward yourself with a top of the line headset.

I haven't used the clarity aloft yet, but everybody I asked has raved about them.

That was the same suggestion made to me when I was flying and I'm glad I heeded it. Not that I wouldn't love to get up in the air again, but I was only able to fly for about 3 years before I had to stop because of finances. I feel much better only having spent about $140 on a headset (in 2000) instead of double or triple that.

I second that. My first instructor suggested I used the schools heads sets (dollar a flight..?) until I passed my PPL and decided to do it as a career.

I have a lightspeed 15xlc. I LOVE the noise canceling and the customer service at lightspeed is FANTASTIC, although I've sent it in every year sense I've had it for one reason or another... not abused, but used.

I did see a Marv Golden ANR headset the other day for less than $250.....anyone ever use that store's own-brand headsets?

I have a FlyteComm Denali with ANR. I got it for about $300 on eBay and I've been really happy with it. My old CFI used it once when we swapped and I had his Bose..Aside from the weight / pressure difference, he said he loved my Denali's.

Back