Question 19 help/advice

Blip16

Some history here, my normal go to AME doesn’t care about routine doc or walk in visits and has told me not to bother; random sinus infections or colds etc. So for the last 10yrs i haven’t reported that stuff unless it was a surgery or hospital admission etc.

Im running into the problem now where due to covid-19, their offices are closed and I am scrambling to find a new AME for this year.

I am not opposed to making the reports ( i have nothing to hide and no major issues) but I think if i had no history last year and now all of a sudden i have 3 yrs of history that looks pretty fishy.
So how do i start reporting this? Just put in the last 12mo worth (might be 2 doc visits and some chiro) and over the next 3 years start building that history?

my other issue is if i go to an AME in the same network as my visits they have access to all those visits to if they want, so I can’t exactly check No to 19, and i don’t really want too. I would like to make sure everything is correct, i cant go back and correct the past so what do i do going forward??????

Hi Blip16,

For starters, with the FAA emergency rules your medical is valid until June 30 if the certificate was set to expire between March 30 and June 30. So you could wait until your usual AME opens for business again.

That being said, the guidance in the AME guide is:

"Routine dental, eye, and FAA periodic medical examinations and consultations with an employer-sponsored employee assistance program (EAP) may be excluded unless the consultations were for the applicant's substance abuse or unless the consultations resulted in referral for psychiatric evaluation or treatment. "

as well as

"The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition. "

Your best bet would be to comply and to list your visits for the last 3 years. If there is nothing disqualifying there I doubt anything serious will come of it. I am not aware of an airman being penalized for listing visits that were previously omitted. You put yourself at more risk by not listing the visits and having the FAA find out later from another source, which would put you under the microscope.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back