quality of training

Adhil

guys how is the quality of training at MTSU and does their fleet consist of any new ones??
what is the cost of getting the degree on professional pilot??
how is their college environment??

thanx for any reply

Well the fleet of aircraft are newer (somewhere around 2003 or 4 i think) DA-40s along with glass pannel versions, Seminoles, Arrows and Da-20's. I think the flight training is good although I didn't choose this route. As for cost, I have no idea.

http://aerospace.web.mtsu.edu/ Take a look at the link. The prices will depend on how much you study and how fast you pace yourself. You CAN go from private through MEI in just 1 year, but thats alot of money to shell out in one year-yet less than the total over 4 years. I think he spent between 25K-30K for all the ratings. most places will cost much more. On top of that you are working towards a 4-year degree. Click under the questions link and fill out the info requested- in turn you will get a packet that will answer most/if not all of your questions. Its a great school.

You know, sadly, I think it's possible to graduate from MSTU, with a Pro-Pilot emphasis, and become a CFI - and never have flown into a Class "C" airport!!

You CAN go from private through MEI in just 1 year
I don't see any possible way one could get all those ratings in one year. The way the classes are laid out makes it impossible.

You have three semesters in a year. How are you going to sign up for the Private, CC, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi labs in only three semesters? What about the corresponding classes at the BAS? And Dr. Craig's CFI class, and Terry's Multi class?

Have they made some dramatic change to the program that allows you to overlap labs or something?

I don't see any possible way one could get all those ratings in one year. The way the classes are laid out makes it impossible.

You have three semesters in a year. How are you going to sign up for the Private, CC, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi labs in only three semesters? What about the corresponding classes at the BAS? And Dr. Craig's CFI class, and Terry's Multi class?

Have they made some dramatic change to the program that allows you to overlap labs or something?

Yes you can finish in a year- If you finish one rating you can go into the next. PRVT/INST then COMM/MULTI, then in the summer CFI/II/MEI. You can take craig's class whenever. I did it freshman year.

As far as class C- it is now required to be done. I would always take students to PDK, then MEM during a push/arrival. Some instructors didnt do that though.... Chattanooga was busy enough for em evidently..

guys how is the quality of training at MTSU and does their fleet consist of any new ones??

I graduated in 1995 and the school had gone to part 141 during my time there. I am surprised every homecoming I fly back into Murfreesboro and see the new planes added to the fleet. The program is much better now.

what is the cost of getting the degree on professional pilot??
You will find MTSU very competitive to other schools and much more economical than some. I graduated with a B.S. in Aeropace Administration and worked airport operations before switching over to flying full-time. It was and is a pleasure to see all the ERAU students obtaining the same job as I but I had spent about 1/2 what they had. :)

how is their college environment??
Murfreesboro is a college town and I really enjoyed it. I was in a fraternity there (which I would recommend if you will be spending weekends in town). Most of the greeks would stay around for weekends and others would go back home for weekends.

I went to a University of Georgia before MTSU. I was a small fish in a big pond. At MTSU I felt like a big fish in a small/medium sized pond and was active in Student Government, Greek Life, Young Airport Executives, and Student Orientation programs.

I don't think you will be disappointed. My info is dated however I have many friends that still go there and keep in touch with some professors.

Good luck and I have no reservations recommending MTSU!

I graduated in 2005. There were a few years where the QOT got kind of bad, but I believe it's gotten a lot better now. I beat the changes that happened that I didn't like and that chief pilot has since been relieved of his position. With Mosey in charge now, I'm sure it's back where it should be.

From what I have heard from friends in the flight department, it seems like things are moving alot better at the flight school now that Mosey is in charge. But one thing I would like to see is more parking at the airport. I swear every time I go to a Maintenance class it seems like there are less areas to park. Heck even the amount of students in the Maint. department has grown.

I graduated from MTSU in May 2006 and I'm instructing now in Smyrna. I am going to have to agree with Berkut--there is NO way to get your ratings in one year. At MTSU, its basically a license/rating a semester and I always had trouble getting it done in the time allotted. With so many people out there trying to fly, you simply cannot fly enough to get it all done in a year.

MTSU is a great school because its not JUST Aerospace. Sure, I love airplanes as much as everyone else on here but sometimes I want to talk politics or go see a play or SOMETHING not involving an airplane. Pilots are notoriously one-track-minded I've found and its nice to have a few "English major friends" in the mix. MTSU is a large school (almost 23,000 this semester) but it retains a small school feeling. The average class size is somewhere in the low thirties I believe (I know that is what it used to be a couple of years ago).

I love living in Murfreesboro, its a small town with a lot of history. Its growing though--which is nice because its getting to the point where you rarely have to leave Murfreesboro for entertainment/food options.

If you do the pro-pilot thing... have something to fall back on. I didn't do this--but I think minoring in Insurance is a great idea. No matter what industry you are in--insurance will be involved.

PM me if you need more details.

I agree about the minoring. We lost two pilots in the last month for medical reasons. One found out he had testicular cancer <shudder> and the other was diagnosed with diabetes (this is a young guy, mid 20s). Diabetes guy never knew anything was wrong. He's lost his medical for 6 months until they determine what kind of diabetes, which will determine if he ever flies again. It's scary stuff.

I also had trouble getting the ratings done on schedule. They had more Mx issues with keeping planes up when I was going through stuff than they are now, but now I'll bet there are more students. It'd be a lot of trying to fly to get that much done in a year...

Back