Qualifications to be an ATC

aviatorchris

Hey all,

I know nobody knows 100% on how this all works but heres my qualifications and where im at.

50 credits of college (still in college)
Private/Commercial/Instrument Ratings
Two Part Time Jobs totalling 30-35 hours per week for the last 4 years.

I'm in the PUBNAT2 group and I'm waiting for panels. I also thought that you needed either a full time job for 3 years, a 4 year degree or a mixture of the two. Would you guys think mine falls in the "mixture" group?

Thanks agin!

pulse: check
pass at-sat: check
be reasonably healthy: check
pass background check: check
not hear voices: check

hired.

if they don't like your work histry they'll reject you, just apply and see I guess.

if you were selected to take the At-SAT than your work/school history is kosher I would think.

From the application:

TO QUALIFY BASED ON WORK EXPERIENCE, INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS MUST DOCUMENT THREE YEARS OF PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE FULL-TIME (40 HOURS PER WEEK) EXPERIENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE POTENTIAL FOR LEARNING. Progressively responsible experience might include for example: an increase in leadership duties, working with less supervision, or an increase in financial responsibility. You are encouraged to include any experience that is directly related to the air traffic control occupation. TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION, APPLICANTS MUST DOCUMENT A FULL 4-YEAR COURSE OF STUDY LEADING TO A BACHELOR'S DEGREE. You may also qualify by combining your work experience and college credits; one year of undergraduate study (30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours) is equivalent to 9 months of general work experience.

Work history has to be approved before you take the AT-SAT from how I understand it, so obviously your work history was approved since I see an AT-SAT score in your sig.

From the application:

TO QUALIFY BASED ON WORK EXPERIENCE, INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS MUST DOCUMENT THREE YEARS OF PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE FULL-TIME (40 HOURS PER WEEK) EXPERIENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE POTENTIAL FOR LEARNING. Progressively responsible experience might include for example: an increase in leadership duties, working with less supervision, or an increase in financial responsibility. You are encouraged to include any experience that is directly related to the air traffic control occupation. TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION, APPLICANTS MUST DOCUMENT A FULL 4-YEAR COURSE OF STUDY LEADING TO A BACHELOR'S DEGREE. You may also qualify by combining your work experience and college credits; one year of undergraduate study (30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours) is equivalent to 9 months of general work experience.

Work history has to be approved before you take the AT-SAT from how I understand it, so obviously your work history was approved since I see an AT-SAT score in your sig.

Yeah I wasnt too sure if they looked at your application too much prior to the selection for PEPC process?

Yeah I wasnt too sure if they looked at your application too much prior to the selection for PEPC process?

Good question. I asked HR when they start to look at ASAP applications and work experience for qualifications. The answer is the contractor, Robinson Aviation looks over every submitted application, then sends the name list to the HR dept, and then HR authorizes "their selection" for the AT-SAT. If your approved for the AT-SAT, your work experience meets the requirements for the position.

Also--- any pilot experience is a huge plus and consideration factor- that's why there is 7 seperate questions on the application concerning aviation/ pilot experience.

Also--- any pilot experience is a huge plus and consideration factor- that's why there is 7 seperate questions on the application concerning aviation/ pilot experience.

I didn't really get the impression they cared much. Just my experience.

Ya'll can get a student pilot certificate just for getting a 3rd class medical. Then when you apply you can state 'student pilot' on the online application. Even if it only helps a *little*, every little bit helps.

I decided to do this when I applied. Just a couple weeks before the application closed out, I went to get my student pilot certificate. Now I have a TOL :D (and also earned my private before the interview)

On a limited bases they are reducing the qualifications to become an ATC. Rememeber the thread talking about the FAA hiring teens right out of high school.

As long as you are breathing and haven't killed anyone in the last 5 years you should be OK.

It's funny you guys say that. They say the same thing at my workplace about the new hires we get... but don't you think that's a little demeaning to your own profession? A few bad apples are expected, but you've also got some great new talent, right?

Im sure they get some great talent but the fact is that they probably really dont care about that they just want bodies in postions to justify that thier staffing plan is working. I am willing to bet that in a few years some of the people that are not really suited for the job will either wash-out or simply quit due to not being able to do the job.

Back