Qantas offers 7-hour sightseeing tour on 787

Boots2Wings

you forget I work TEB. I know what kind of shenanigans y’all pull.
I mean i consider that whole coast to be shenanigans, so id expect nothing less :)

Unrelated note, I’m at sim recurrency in DEN this weekend, so Ill be sure to imagine your voice screaming expletives at me if they work us in that area (which for some reason they love doing even though were 99% operating West coast.

Last edited:

inigo88

Composite-lover
I doubt it would make THAT much difference....we aren't as cowboy as the common misconception portrays....now hold my beer while I slam dunk this short approach, stabilization schmabilization
I’ll raise you Springbok, and check mate. :)

Or maybe “we aren’t as cowboy... in the United States...”

Edit: There’s more!

Double edit: Sorry to be the jackass posting low altitude overhead breaks in SAA A340s while you guys are somberly discussing NZ901 but... it was pretty cool! :)

Last edited:

melax

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Flight COV19 departing from Gate C19 at 6:19pm :biggrin:

WTF ? Why would you try to potentially expose yourself to a yet not fully understood virus (s) [so far 8 different strains identified] to go nowhere ? :bang:

Cherokee_Cruiser

I barely want to be on a plane for 7 hours when I'm actually going somewhere I want to travel to.
But! But! I thought international long haul is where it’s at, and the reason people want the big 3?

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Flight COV19 departing from Gate C19 at 6:19pm :biggrin:

WTF ? Why would you try to potentially expose yourself to a yet not fully understood virus (s) [so far 8 different strains identified] to go nowhere ? :bang:
People will take precautions aboard. Wear a mask, use a sanitizer, don’t touch your face. If you’re too scared, you can stay locked up in your home until there’s an effective vaccine widely available AND widely taken (good luck with that, btw).

melax

"People will take precautions aboard. Wear a mask, use a sanitizer, don’t touch your face. If you’re too scared, you can stay locked up in your home until there’s an effective vaccine widely available AND widely taken (good luck with that, btw)."

Yo, I've been flying for more than 20 years all over Africa , doing Evac and relief flights during several pandemics, so before you post this non sense Think.... You know; use your brain. This stuff is contagious even when you take all precautions so why the F would anyone take a chance. it's not about this crap (beeing scared , stay in your house etc... BS that you and you know who are spreading).
If you contract COVID and are susceptible to the virus you'll quickly change your tone.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

"People will take precautions aboard. Wear a mask, use a sanitizer, don’t touch your face. If you’re too scared, you can stay locked up in your home until there’s an effective vaccine widely available AND widely taken (good luck with that, btw)."

Yo, I've been flying for more than 20 years all over Africa , doing Evac and relief flights during several pandemics, so before you post this non sense Think.... You know; use your brain. This stuff is contagious even when you take all precautions so why the F would anyone take a chance. it's not about this crap (beeing scared , stay in your house etc... BS that you and you know who are spreading).
If you contract COVID and are susceptible to the virus you'll quickly change your tone.
So according to that, don't even fly. I should call up my employer and tell them it's too dangerous? I'm actually in training for a new plane, which means classroom setting with 10+ pilots in it and then soon a simulator setting with no less than 3 people in a confined box. I've already accepted that just by the nature of our job and being deemed "essential worker," that I have a fair chance of contracting the virus. What's the alternative, refuse to go to work and deny your own essential worker status?

You won't see me hanging out in bars or concerts. But I think airlines (at least in the US) have a done a very good job of cleaning, prepping the plane for flights and requiring+enforcing face masks for passengers.

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast

I’ve been flying to and from work commercially since most of this started. Dozens of commercial flights since April or so. Even flew to Oregon on one of my weeks off to see my brother.

Clearly I’m selfish and want to kill other people though.

melax

I know it's a long read (and applies to COV19 as well), but for those of you doing long haul (and even short trips), please do not "low play" this virus. it's real and when you spend many hours in the confined tube you are exponentially increasing your potential exposure. When I did Evacs, we were "fully" protected, Hazmat suits, Mil spec masks post flight decontamination etc.... I put "fully" in quotes as you never attain 100% protection, the risks we were taking were commensurate with the missions goals/successes, i.e saving human life.

Any non essential travel to "visit cousin Joe" at this time is just foolish, specially for those who are medically compromised. I've cancelled all non essential travel until we get a better handle on the situation. For the young, healthy people, you may be putting others at risk if you're asymptomatic, it's selfish and if you're doing it knowing that you're positive then it's criminal.
An effective vaccine should be available soon , perhaps widely available mid / next year to third quarter 2021. it's not difficult to be patient until then.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

I know it's a long read (and applies to COV19 as well), but for those of you doing long haul (and even short trips), please do not "low play" this virus. it's real and when you spend many hours in the confined tube you are exponentially increasing your potential exposure. When I did Evacs, we were "fully" protected, Hazmat suits, Mil spec masks post flight decontamination etc.... I put "fully" in quotes as you never attain 100% protection, the risks we were taking were commensurate with the missions goals/successes, i.e saving human life.

Any non essential travel to "visit cousin Joe" at this time is just foolish, specially for those who are medically compromised. I've cancelled all non essential travel until we get a better handle on the situation. For the young, healthy people, you may be putting others at risk if you're asymptomatic, it's selfish and if you're doing it knowing that you're positive then that's criminal.
We took transcon Spirit Airlines flights (4.5 hr air time) with absolutely packed airplanes, 180 filled out of 182 on one flight and 140 filled out of 145 on the other. That was to see family, which we only get to do twice per year (once in the summer and once in winter break). You can call it foolish. We're still gonna do it. We won't fly if any of us are sick - obviously. But the fear mongering needs to stop. Yes, it's a global pandemic. We get it. But we're not gonna 100% shut down commerce until this thing rides itself out or there is an effective vaccine that everyone takes - both scenarios that could take YEARS.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

probsblg cause Australia is averaging about 30 new cases a day now for the last 2 weeks as opposed to our 40,000.

Space Monkey

Lufthansa used to do a North Pole trip, circled long enough to let everyone shuffle around and get a view of the nothing from the windows.
They really just flew to southern Spitsbergen, did a circle, and came home. Nobody noticed 'cause the free drinks served on those flights were a lot cheaper than the fuel they saved by cutting the geo-pole excursions short. Plus, to the kind folks who would pay for such a flight, white's white.

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Here's a fun statistic, flight attendant divorce rate is 50.5%, while pilots is only 30.5%. Curious

That's 'cause flight attendants keep marrying pilots - over and over again. Pilots make mistakes, too, but tend to make the same mistake only once... with some notable exceptions on this board.