Q about safety

RomeoTango

Is the safety level [odds at having an accident] of this airlines about the same or they differ?

AA/EGF
COA/XE
DAL/ASA
NWA/FLG
USA/PSA/AWI/RPB/CHQ
UAL/Shuttle America

Thanks

Statistically the odds of having an accident won't change from airline to airline.

Are you asking if any of those have a better or worse safety/mx/training/hiring/etc program?

Statistically the odds of having an accident won't change from airline to airline.

Are you asking if any of those have a better or worse safety/mx/training/hiring/etc program?

Thanx for reply

Regarding these companies, someone asked me what is the ''safest '' airline to fly with their young children.They heard that in tough economic times cost cutting measures may cut into safety ,maintenace/lower fuel dispatches, low experience crews ,lax safety at some airports etc. and rightly or wronly they are concerned. More than stats they wanted to get a sense of what is the opinion of the professional in the industry

I'm not sure if the Fed's break that down. There's certain airlines which I won't fly, but there's no statistical reason beyond just basic non-mathematical prejudice! ;)

Charlie: Ray, all airlines have crashed at one time or another, that doesn't mean that they are not safe.

Raymond: Qantas. Qantas never crashed.

Charlie: Qantas?

Raymond: Never crashed.

Charlie: Oh that's gonna do me a lot of good because Qantas doesn't fly to Los Angeles out of Cincinnati, you have to get to Melbourne! Melbourne, Australia in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles!

I would suggest reading most of Patrick Smith's 'Ask the Pilot' columns over at www.salon.com.

It won't give you the specific answer to your question, but rather tell you why the question isn't really meaningful in the first place.

Bottom line, in any economic environment, you're far safer on a commercial airliner than you are driving to the airport.

Charlie: Ray, all airlines have crashed at one time or another, that doesn't mean that they are not safe.

Raymond: Qantas. Qantas never crashed.

Charlie: Qantas?

Raymond: Never crashed.

Charlie: Oh that's gonna do me a lot of good because Qantas doesn't fly to Los Angeles out of Cincinnati, you have to get to Melbourne! Melbourne, Australia in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles!

Touche! One of Dustin Hoffman's greatest roles.

I would suggest reading most of Patrick Smith's 'Ask the Pilot' columns over at www.salon.com.

It won't give you the specific answer to your question, but rather tell you why the question isn't really meaningful in the first place.

Bottom line, in any economic environment, you're far safer on a commercial airliner than you are driving to the airport.

Thanks for the link,interesting reading
On another note how should I explain Alaska 261 to my concerned friends?

Thanks for the link,interesting reading
On another note how should I explain Alaska 261 to my concerned friends?

Alaska 261 is a very important accident in that everyone was involved to an extent.

When the DC-9 first came out, there was an inspection cycle on the jackscrew every 300hrs if I remember correctly. By the time A261 happened, that cycle had been extended to about 2700hrs. How and why? Statistics showed it could be done just like with Challenger. Shuttles had been launched outside the normal envelope with no negative consequence. Researcher Diane Vaughan termed this 'normalizing deviance'. Dekker wrote extensively about it and termed it a 'drift to failure'.

Note that everyone approved the inspection cycle; the manufacturer, the FAA, the mechanics and the airlines. It was not just Alaska.

More from Dekker at
http://tinyurl.com/56ljtu

Also, you can go to http://www.airsafe.com/airline.htm for a review of the various airlines.

Back