Putting a Radial/DME fix into a G1000

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Ferried a DA42L360 from Chicago to Dallas last week, and my clearance out of Tulsa was a bit convoluted.
Clearance was as follows: TUL160033 MLC FINGR5

Tulsa 160 Radial 33 DME Fix. Is there a way to put that into a G1000? I wasn't able to find one in the 5 minutes I screwed around with it until I just went OBS mode on TUL with 160 entred in and kind of estimated the direct path to 33 DME.

Just curious for future issues.

The easiest way I can think of would be to create a user way point since those can be defined with radial/distance.

There's a similar DP out of KPIA. There's no simple way to do it on a G1000, or, using the FPL function. Best to fly the green needles until the DME fix and then go about your regularly scheduled program...

If the G1000 software version supports along track offsets, you can set the inbound course on OBS mode to the desired radial. After exiting OBS mode go to the flight plan page, put the cursor over the VOR and then menu and scroll to Along Track and enter -30 (or whatever distance you want, negative before and positive after the fix) and it I'll create a temporary waypoint you can then go direct to. I may be off in the exact names of the menus, but that's roughly how it works. But it all depends on which version of the G1000 software you have installed.

The G430 allowed custom fixes using the P/B/D. They took that out of the G1000?
Not sure, as I said, I've never done any sort of custom waypoint, so I wasn't even sure what was in the realm of possibilities.

Generally speaking, whenever this type of clearance is used, there is a corresponding fix/waypoint there that's not being said in the clearance because of aircraft type or altitude filed. For example, in your clearance, you could use PEJAY as that is 33nm off the TUL 160. I just found it by going to Skyvector and looking at the Hi chart for TUL.

Takes some digging but when using certain types of GPS/FMS's I think it's easier than using P/B/D (if it's even possible) or green needles. With more advanced FMS's it is easier to do P/B/D.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.88676124063053,-95.64039424045465&chart=446&zoom=2&fpl= KTUL TUL PEJAY MLC

Last edited:
Generally speaking, whenever this type of clearance is used, there is a corresponding fix/waypoint there that's not being said in the clearance because of aircraft type or altitude filed. For example, in your clearance, you could use PEJAY as that is 33nm off the TUL 160. I just found it by going to Skyvector and looking at the Hi chart for TUL.

Takes some digging but when using certain types of GPS/FMS's I think it's easier than using P/B/D (if it's even possible) or green needles. With more advanced FMS's it is easier to do P/B/D.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.88676124063053,-95.64039424045465&chart=446&zoom=2&fpl= KTUL TUL PEJAY MLC
Holy crap, I feel really dumb now. I was /G filed in a DA-42, not sure why they wouldn't just use that. Thanks though, puts the whole thing to bed.

Holy crap, I feel really dumb now. I was /G filed in a DA-42, not sure why they wouldn't just use that. Thanks though, puts the whole thing to bed.

I wouldn't feel bad about, took me a while to figure it out. I'm assuming they won't say it in the clearance because the fix is on the hi chart and you were filed under Fl180. I used to have the same problem coming out of my home airport. The standard route used low airways but I was filed above FL180 so they would give me a VOR and radial even though there was a waypoint associated with it on the low enroute chart.

In my G1000 days I do remember having the ability to set a GPS waypoint that references radials/DMEs from VORs.

This guy is explaining something a little different, but the video is still useful.

After you've entered the "Create User Waypoint" page, your waypoint type should be RAD/DIS. If I remember correctly (YMMV, been a few years) you can then scroll down to the REFERENCE WAYPOINTS section and set the VOR, Radial, and Distance to define the waypoint.

I wouldn't feel bad about, took me a while to figure it out. I'm assuming they won't say it in the clearance because the fix is on the hi chart and you were filed under Fl180. I used to have the same problem coming out of my home airport. The standard route used low airways but I was filed above FL180 so they would give me a VOR and radial even though there was a waypoint associated with it on the low enroute chart.
They do similar things out of CYYC and CYEG. We are up at 280-320'and they give us a low altitude airway.

Back