Purdue facilities

JRH91

I am a high school senior who is interested in attending Purdue but I'm finding hard to get more information about the facilities, planes, simulators, ect. I have only heard good things about Purdue unlike many other colleges, but I can't find out much about the aviation program. It seems like they are trying to keep Purdue a secret. If there is anyone who knows more about the program who could help me find out more it would be greatly appreciated. I'm going up there on a visit in a month and I would like to find out more about the program before I go. Thank you.

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/at/academics/undergraduate/flt_info.cfm

the degree of associate in applied science is awarded once the student completes the first two years of the flight plan of study. Additionally, students earn private and commercial pilot certificates and an instrument rating.

its saying you earn ppl through commercial with an associates degree.

im going to louisiana tech university and majoring in "professional aviation" which certifies from start to finish PPL through CFII, with the ability to instruct on campus. which sounds good to me, obviously because im doing it. im entering with my PPL, which is worth 8 credit hours, (were on the quarter system) and hopefully a passed instrument written, which is worth 6 credit hours.

the best thing you can do is call them. call the department of aviation technology and ask them their fleet, whats the student/instructor ratio, do they offer jobs to instructors on sight, blah blah, and, most importantly, do they offer credit for ratings, which can save you a lot of $ if you were to go ahead and get as many as possible. do you have any ratings thus far?

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/at/academics/undergraduate/flt_info.cfm

its saying you earn ppl through commercial with an associates degree.

Partially true, then you get the other stuff the next two years. Probably the most important is the advanced systems knowledge, the advanced meteorology theory and a litany of other things. Even being the most inexperienced guy in 2 of my 3 initials at my first airline, and being hired with a mere 550 hours, I was doing most of the explaining how the actual systems are working. I was far from the smartest guy in class at Purdue.

You leave the program in the following condition if you do the bare minimum:

AAS and BS from Purdue University (Most people recognize a BS from Purdue.)

CMEL/Inst.

250 hrs

FE ticket (if they still do that)

10 hours in a KingAir (gratis....the airplanes are used for university transportation. The professors are the Captains)

the best thing you can do is call them. call the department of aviation technology and ask them their fleet, whats the student/instructor ratio, do they offer jobs to instructors on sight, blah blah, and, most importantly, do they offer credit for ratings, which can save you a lot of $ if you were to go ahead and get as many as possible. do you have any ratings thus far?

I don't know what the student fleet ratio is, but the total number of admissions is based on the number of students they can handle. My class 1994-1998 was about 60 people.

I got my CFIAIM via the local FBO, I can't remember if I got credit or not.

However, to be an instructor for Purdue, one needs to have completed the 2 year program, and be a student in the professional flight program.

Also, do some searching and learn about the instructors and the history of the program. They did all the stuff the others have started doing.

There are negatives to the program too, but everyone will point those out in short order. Unless they went there, it's BS.

I recently graduated from the Purdue AvTech department, although not the flight side (I was Management). I HIGHLY suggest you not major in flight. It is a good program, but you can get everything you need through an FBO, major in something as a "fall back" degree. It will wind up being cheaper, and you end up with many of the same opportunities given that in the AvTech program you work closely with the professors and your fellow students. I work with, and keep in touch with several recently flight grads and most say they wish they had majored in something else.

You will have the opportunity to fly the King Air, and possibly the Jet, however this does not guarantee you anything after you graduate. Just ask the graduates of the past 3 or 4 semesters. Get to know your professors, network with them and your fellow students, and you will open many doors for yourself, especially when things turn around in our industry. I'm not sure if things are different now, but I was offered a job instructing at Purdue they day I got my CFI, by the head of the flight program. The pay is a joke (think minimum wage, 3hrs/week...) and you won't fly very much. Pay at the FBO on the field is not much better, but you do have the opportunity to work more. IF you were to fly through them, you would likely have the chance to instruct out there when you get your CFI.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I can try and answer them or give you the e-mail of a couple of current students and recent graduates.

Back