Puerto Rico

VectorVictor

These shots are from 2007 - 2008. But it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect if you are thinking of moving or flying down here. Flying in the Caribbean is easy. Simple airspace and its very hard to get lost.

This is my old flight schools ramp at the Isla Grande Airport (TJIG). Isla Grande Flying school has a like a dozen 172/152s, they also have an R22 and R44, Piper Aztec Piper Arrow and Piper Apache used for training. The cessnas can be rented for a pretty usual rate.
ramp.jpg

Departing Isla Grande Airport. You need to stay at or below 1,000ft since it is below class C airspace. Its a very simple airport with a control tower although they do not have radar. Landing into runway 27 is interesting because you pretty much go in between buildings but if you loose an engine your only option is to ditch the aircraft both directions.
islagrande.jpg

This is San Cristobal Castle. Sort of like a mini fort. To the south you can see where the cruise ships "park". This general area is known as Old San Juan.
sancristobal.jpg

This is El Morro Fort. On a usual traffic pattern you go in through the bay. It makes for some good distractions.
elmorro.jpg

You probably know what this is. The Arecibo Observatory made famous from the movies "contact" and "James Bond: Goldeneye". There is no sort of special airspace over the thing that I am aware of so you can fly over it.
contact1.jpg

contact2.jpg

This is at the Aguadilla airport or BQN. Its an ex military airport for B-52s so its a bit large for a 172 or pretty much anything. This is a Caribex aircraft on the taxiway. I met the crew and if you see the pic in higher quality they where smiling for the picture.
caribex.jpg

Another shorts. BQN is mostly used for cargo operations. Sorry, I couldn't find any ameriflight aircraft.
skywest.jpg

Something I found in BQN. Actually, Homeland Security is based at BQN. They have Blackhawks, King Airs, Cobra combat helicopters and this baby. She was pretty much brand new out of the box when I took these pics.
hello.jpg

I believe the props are made by Hamilton Sundstrand. Pretty majestic if you ask me.
prop.jpg

Someone's office. This is how a cockpit should look like.
cockpit.jpg

I can see why you can change the EHSI to the upper or bottom EFIS screen. You can't see it, period.
efis.jpg

What did you expect, its an island.
islands.jpg

Just a random pic of my dad's old Twin Commander.
commander.jpg

I will try to post more up to date pictures soon. I will also post pics of the newly renovated Ceiba airport.

Great photos!

I was down there for 5 months with the ANG a number of years ago and still regret not taking a flight or two around the island.

Nice photos, beats the cornfields I fly above.

Last picture with the Aero Commander, what are those in the engine air scoop?

Nice photos, beats the cornfields I fly above.

Last picture with the Aero Commander, what are those in the engine air scoop?

Those things I am guessing are home made plugs.
Wow, now that I look at it looks like a heroin bags:rotfl:
The aero commander is the preferred aircraft for drug runners since it carries allot of weight and is very low maintenance. There are more aero commanders in Puerto Rico than anywhere else in the world I think.

The plane in the pic was owned by my father in the early 90s. Its current owner is a Doctor that also lives in the island. My dad regrets selling it though. :drool:

Some more shots.

This is Puerto Rico's response to the aircraft graveyard in Arizona. Not allot of 747s here though, more like 152s and 172s. You can find this behind Isla Grande Flying Schools maintenance hangar. :yup:
graveyard.jpg

A part 135 commander on departure runway 9. Edit: Actually, I think its landing. :p
commanderdepart.jpg

A king Air is having its engines started.
kingair.jpg

This is the convention center that is located walking distance from the airport and marina. They are building a hotel in the area where the dirt is in the picture. Currently, the hotel is about 60% complete from what I can tell. This is just by looking to your right when departing runway 9.
convention.jpg

Another view of Old San Juan.
oldsanjuan.jpg

A citation getting a tan.:laff:
citation.jpg

More coming soon.

Back