PTS to ACS

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
As a CFI student, I'm wondering what the major differences, if any taking effect next month with be. As CFI will be changing from PTS, to ACS? Haven't been able to nail down a solid answer. Thanks in advance.

The application is the same, just a different philosophy on some portions. Applicants still demonstrate maneuvers and knowledge, don't let the name change stress you out.

Sounds like a good thing to bring back. I faintly remember doing this, 20+ years ago. But I've spent a lot of time aggressively maneuvering in "slow flight" since then. Good way to know your wing (and many other intangibles of aviating).

Same stuff, different name for the most part. A few enhancements here and there on tasks

I remember having the equivalent of a major-church schism at the flight school over teaching a student to fly at MCA. One school of thought said that it was a good thing to teach the student not to be afraid of the stall horn, and to learn the edges of what the airplane would and wouldn't do. I like this approach, and I frequently taught it to my students.

Another contingent of CFIs believe that this is a horrible thing to do, because it de-sensitizes the student to the stall horn and they'll be 'too comfortable' playing around at AOAs that they shouldn't be playing with in the course of normal operations. While I understand the sentiment, I disagree with it as an unacceptable risk.

But these were the fun, spirited discussions we had on bad weather days.

I remember having the equivalent of a major-church schism at the flight school over teaching a student to fly at MCA. One school of thought said that it was a good thing to teach the student not to be afraid of the stall horn, and to learn the edges of what the airplane would and wouldn't do. I like this approach, and I frequently taught it to my students.

Another contingent of CFIs believe that this is a horrible thing to do, because it de-sensitizes the student to the stall horn and they'll be 'too comfortable' playing around at AOAs that they shouldn't be playing with in the course of normal operations. While I understand the sentiment, I disagree with it as an unacceptable risk.

I don’t think it’s horrible and include it in training. But I also think there’s a lot to be said for not treating ignoring warnings as normal.

I don’t think it’s horrible and include it in training. But I also think there’s a lot to be said for not treating ignoring warnings as normal.

There a huge difference between ignoring a warning, and being aware the warning is sounding and knowingly and deliberately operating within its limitations.

We did that in fighters all the time in air to air, managing G’s while dogfighting by modulating the pitch in turns between the steady and chopped AOA tones that told us how close to critical AOA exceedence we were at any given time. You never wanted to enter an accelerated stall, as your turn rate and overall maneuverability would instantly cease as the nose stopped tracking until you reduced G below critical AOA. But your maximum turn rate ability, and thus minimum turn radius, was gained by operating as close to max AOA without exceeding it, as you operated between the two warning tones.

There a huge difference between ignoring a warning, and being aware the warning is sounding and knowingly and deliberately operating within its limitations.
Oh I agree which is why I said
I don’t think it’s horrible and include it in training.
But there have apparently been a significant number of gear-up landings with the gear warning blasting away, so I also said
I also think there’s a lot to be said for not treating ignoring warnings as normal.

Back