Prospective future pilot - nice to meet everyone

MeeNotYou

Hello all

I am just here to meet others, make friends, network, etc. I am sure as time passes I will ask advice and learn from those with vast experience. And hopefully, in the years to come, I will be able to pay it forward and help out others.

I am 36 years old with a family. My wife is a mid/senior level commercial manager with an international airline. And to better align our careers, I am considering taking the plunge and becoming a professional pilot.

I have always had a love of aviation, and wished to become a pilot as

a child. However, my upbringing didn't enable this so I enlisted in the Marine Corps at 18. My first few years were in aviation as the Crew Chief on Ch-46 helos. But then I transitioned into a sensitive intelligence gig. I left service after approx 13 years. After service, I was groomed to move into USG work within the intelligence industry, however a nasty divorce completely destroyed my finances and put an end to that career. Since then, I have been a stay-at-home Dad allowing my wife to focus on her career. As much as I love time with my family, especially with my youngest daughter (as my time in the military meant I really didn't get to see my two older daughters grow up), I need to get back to work.

So, with my previous career track now no longer an option, and having been out of the work force for a few years, I think a career that begins from scratch with training might be the way forward. And since flying has always been a passion and dream, and because my wife is well rooted in the airline industry, I feel compelled to pursue the dream.

Now, of course the cost of professional pilot training is a bitter pill to swallow. And because I am quite a bit older than many of my peers who start training much earlier in life, I feel a bit behind the power curb. As expensive as it may be, we are exploring options to fund ATP so that I can get the ratings quickly. Note, we are currently living in the EU, so the desire to earn the ratings quickly is more driven by minimizing time away from family than rushing onto the career. I figure that 6 months of ATP and another 6-9 of instructing will be a better educational experience than the estimated 14 months to a couple years of the more conventional progressive route.

And as much as I would love to slow down and enjoy the ride, I do fear I will be rushing to build hours initially so that I can get that first paying job. That said, I am a glass is half full type of guy, so I can find enjoyment in anything and everything I do, even if only the pride and satisfaction of the rewards of hard work.

Since my wife is with a major airline based in the Arabian Peninsula, and since I have decent wasta in the area, I am hoping to streamline into a FO jet gig. But of course, I understand the realities of this. Furthermore, I am not blind to the level of trust and responsibility placed upon professional pilots and their responsibility for the safeguarding of lives and property. I am not one to rush into something I do not feel adequately prepared for, and know learning will be a life-long endeavor.

Simply, I need to get working to e a good provider for my family, but will cut my teeth and work hard to earn my way. And as much as I feel the need to begin my career, I want to try to enjoy the ride and experience as much as possible. Furthermore, I want to begin a lineage with my children...model airplanes and prop rides with Dad (something I didn't have with my Father), so that they can grow up with the same passion for flying that I have, but have memories to bond the passion with the experience.

Anyway, sorry for the somewhat personal intro.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I welcome inspiring stories, word of encouragement or caution, and any advice offered.

Regards to all and happy, safe flying~

Back