Professional Pilot Program Part.61 or 141

KeithWilliams

Hy,

I was just wondering if the Pro Pilot Programm(200hours) is under Part.61 or 141. Can you choose between the two?

Appreciate any information.

Thanks a lot

Keith

Pretty sure they have everything under part 141 now (prvt,inst,comm), with the exeption of the MEI i think. When i went through the pro course i was all 61 execpt for the instrument.

I dont think you have a choice of 61 or 141, if the course is 141 then you gotta do it. But its no big deal, besides 141 is better anyways.

If you are a VA guy than it might be different, call and ask.

"But its no big deal, besides 141 is better anyways."

BLECH.... I know why you think part 141 is better but disaggree.

In part 141 you are forced to follow an exact syllabus that includes a bunch of formal ground school. I don't know about you, but I was taught how to read a long time ago. There's no reason to spoon feed that information.

Aviator was mostly part 61 when I went and that was one of the reasons I chose to go there. The classroom stuff is brutal unless you just aren't motivated enough to read the books.

Now.... I'm not saying that I (and others that didn't get formal ground school) didn't need some ground. I just limited it to review and clarification after I had read and studied the information myself. Remember... It's not astro-physics that we're learning. It's mostly rules and regulations.... mostly. You don't need to pay someone to read to you from the FAR/AIM and the PHAK.

For my money. Part 61 is the way to go. You have to do the programs at Aviator the way they're set up but I'm glad everything was part 61 (except the instrument) when I went. I enjoyed it the way it was.

I'm sure that the 141 classes are good and informative. I would venture to guess that to keep all the Key Bank financing and get the Govt financing, the courses probably had to be part 141. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way. I'm just glad that I didn't have to. It's a lot of extra money to pay for ground school when you can just sit in your room and read it for free.

hey john hows life.
to the 141 vs. 61 when i was there it was all 61 save the instrument. and i guess the multi-private while i was instructing. cant say what it is now though.
i agree with john that 61 is much better except that with the instrument under part 141 you do not need to have 50 hrs. x-country pic as you do with part 61. for those that have been flying for years as a private pilot and have no problem meeting that 50 hr requirement then id be all for 61. but most people that go there dont have anywhere close to that amount of x-country pic time. therefore 141 makes much more sense. other than the instrument i hate 141 programs but thats just me

All good here in Ga. How are you doing?

I agree. There are benifits to 141. In particular the Instrument 141 because the fewer XC hours. If the instrument was part 61 then every lesson would have to be a XC out and back. It's doable but definitely not optimal. I'm sure that's why the Aviator Instrument was the only 141 for quite a while. I would assume having the rest of the stuff 141 has something to do with the education loans.

On a different note. I saw it mentioned somewhere that the new students might get solo Duchess time in the new 141 program. That's pretty cool.... except flying solo is really boring and solo IFR is a pain in the ass. But... great experience.

j

I think the MEI went 141 right after I finished. Not sure though. It looks like pretty much everything is going 141 and the programs are changing a bit. I'm sure it'll still be a good place to train.

You are correct Aviator will probably be all 141 eventually. But, the education loans have nothing to do with it. There are many students that are motivated and have great study habits (these folks are a pleasure to train :) ). I'm sure you all know students that really need the structured programs.

well.... yea. I see your point. It's a shame that you can't choose between the 2 programs but that would be a complete logistical nightmare. I'm just glad I got to do most of it part 61. It's definitely what I prefer.

j

hey john going good here. flippin cold but man flying in alaska is awsome. by the way theres someone asking about aviation atlanta in the general forums. i dont know if thats where your at or not but figured you might know something. have you heard anything from matt. havent seen him on here in awhile just wonderin how hes doin anyway sorry bout the thread hijak

Back