Primary/Supporting Instruments

WildcatPilot

Anyone know of a good graphic for primary and supporting instruments for IFR flying? I'm a pretty visual guy and a chart of some sort would be great! I'm learning in a G1000, in case anyone has a scan specific to that setup.
Thanks!

Not a graphic, but it usually the instrument that shouldn't be moving. Example: Straight and level, the primary instrument for pitch is the altimeter and the primary instrument for bank is the heading indicator.

For the G1000, that method isn't really practical. Since you have a huge attitude indicator, that is pretty much your primary instrument for everything.

m_b8c0c46f09a18fbbe1c3a27d89a23636.jpg

It's basic, but it'll get you started.

I can't get it to resize without distorting, PM me your email and I'll send you the graphic.

Not so much as a graphic or chart or anything, but it might be worth it to take a look at the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook. It gets into real detail about Performance/Control and Primary/Supporting in both steam gauges and the G1000. That might help you out a lot and you could possibly make your own chart from that.

Just make sure you get the updated book. The FAA just came out with the new book this year or last year (can't remember) which now includes the G1000.

Not so much as a graphic or chart or anything, but it might be worth it to take a look at the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook. It gets into real detail about Performance/Control and Primary/Supporting in both steam gauges and the G1000. That might help you out a lot and you could possibly make your own chart from that.

Just make sure you get the updated book. The FAA just came out with the new book this year or last year (can't remember) which now includes the G1000.

:yeahthat:
The new book has an entire chapter on the G1000 Performance/Control and Primary/Supporting methods and explains both very well.

Great advice! I picked up the new version of the instrument flying handbook today. That new info on the G1000 is exactly what I was looking for.

If you can, I would recommend studying the Performance/Control method as I find it to be extremely simple compared to Primary/Supporting.

As for a scan on the G1000. Up down up down. It is all so compact there is not a big scan to view each individual instrument. Airspeed can be seen in the peripheral vision as well as VSI and ALT on the other side. Just looking down to see your nav instruments and heading indicator. G1000 makes everything too easy.

Also no vacuum pump to worry about so when a gyro fails it will just put a red X on your instrument and you just hop up (or down depending on aircraft) to the Electrical AI.

Back