Pretty cool traffic advisory today

Brian Z

Departing today from DPA I got this from tower;

"Traffic 2 o'clock five miles two thousand five hundred B-2"

My first thought is it could not be a real B-2 because what is it doing at 2500 10 or so miles west of Ohare. It was though so that created another question. What the heck what was 1.8B of our tax dollars doing cruising along at 2500 in the Chicago area? I am sure it was there for the Chicago Air and Water show, but why that low under the western side of the Bravo shelf? Could they not get a clearance into the Bravo? At any rate when it cleared the Bravo airspace it climbed like crazy to the west.

Those are some pretty sweet planes to see in person... especially in the air. I earned my ppl and IR at an airport real close to Whiteman AFB and was fortunate enough to see one while flying a couple of times. It's kind of cool because they are hard to see when flying straight and level at your altitude, but as soon as they bank they really stand out and are fun to watch.

I saw a B-2 just west of the DC ADIZ during the Andrews AFB show, that was coolest aerial sight I have had so far. This guy also climbed quite impressively after getting a clearance. Still to this day it almost seems alien.

On my IFR checkride, the examiner told me to take off my hood and look up. I thought I'd busted...he wanted me to see a B-2 flying ahead of us! That and having an F-18 flight zoom by me on a cross-country are probably the two coolest things I've seen air-to-air.

It's kind of cool because they are hard to see when flying straight and level at your altitude, but as soon as they bank they really stand out and are fun to watch.
:yeahthat:
I used to live on the final approach path of Luke AFB in Surprise, AZ. They were having an air show and I happened to look out the window and see one climbing out over the house. Looks amazing!

:yeahthat:
I used to live on the final approach path of Luke AFB in Surprise, AZ. They were having an air show and I happened to look out the window and see one climbing out over the house. Looks amazing!

I sure do miss Surprise. SOme of my best friends ever live in that town, which is growing like crazy!

Humf, All we get in NE Ohio is "Veder". A C-130 that doesn't get much higher than 1000Ft-1500Ft AGL.

There was a P-51 flying around yesterday though.

Once, in Olympia, WA, I got to share the traffic pattern with a P-51. Seriously cool.

The other day, I got to see a B-52 chase a tanker. Also very cool.

Had a B-2 pass right overhead the other week in cruise. Damn sweet! Too bad I didn't have my real camera with me. I keep saying I am gonna tote it around everywhere.

Had a B-2 pass right overhead the other week in cruise. Damn sweet! Too bad I didn't have my real camera with me. I keep saying I am gonna tote it around everywhere.
I had to follow a f16 in for approach at KSYR. Oddly enough it was not doing the simulated flame out like they always seem to do when landing, just doing a normal approach and landing.

I had to follow a f16 in for approach at KSYR. Oddly enough it was not doing the simulated flame out like they always seem to do when landing, just doing a normal approach and landing.

I was once waiting to perform an intersection departure at KRME with multiple F-16's in the pattern. Took them all of about 10 seconds to fly the entire pattern! Damn impressive. Had they not left the area, it seemed like I would have never been able to get off.

I was once waiting to perform an intersection departure at KRME with multiple F-16's in the pattern. Took them all of about 10 seconds to fly the entire pattern! Damn impressive. Had they not left the area, it seemed like I would have never been able to get off.
Thats sweet. You are like 30 NM from me. Where exactly do you live?

I used to see some really cool stuff going in and out of HNL. I have a picture of a C130 landing with 2 engines out and got to hold short one day while they landed an AN225.

Departing today from DPA I got this from tower;

"Traffic 2 o'clock five miles two thousand five hundred B-2"

My first thought is it could not be a real B-2 because what is it doing at 2500 10 or so miles west of Ohare. It was though so that created another question. What the heck what was 1.8B of our tax dollars doing cruising along at 2500 in the Chicago area? I am sure it was there for the Chicago Air and Water show, but why that low under the western side of the Bravo shelf? Could they not get a clearance into the Bravo? At any rate when it cleared the Bravo airspace it climbed like crazy to the west.

I wonder if the B-2 ever get's told "Radar Contact?"

Humf, All we get in NE Ohio is "Veder". A C-130 that doesn't get much higher than 1000Ft-1500Ft AGL.

There was a P-51 flying around yesterday though.
That's not ALL we get. We get the KC135's out of PIT ("Steel"), we get that all white 757 with no tail number marked on it that always uses a different callsign (if I don't know who/what it is, I can't be killed for knowing too much), we even got a B52 do a low-pass one day when I was instructing at YNG.

The 52 has some pretty awesome presence. We saw quite a few when I was going to flight school. Always doing approaches to TIK. Had one pass right under me on my CFI ride...or commercial ride. One of 'em, it was in the gutless. Neat shtuff.

-mini

Back