Pretty cool traffic advisory today

I got buzzed by a C-5 last week when picking up the wife from work last week. Lockheed has been updating them for the past year or two at Dobbins, so they've started becoming a regular sight around here.

I had some B-1s pointed out to me once or twice when the Air Force still had them based out of WRB. Since WRB and MCN are just class Ds with a TRSA, it was possible to fly right over the top of the field(s) no problem. It was neat seeing the B-1s parked on the ready pads off on one end of the runway.

Since we're talking about military sightings, does anyone know the purpose/mission of the P-3 Orions that I see at Dallas-Love Field all the time?

we get that all white 757 with no tail number marked on it that always uses a different callsign (if I don't know who/what it is, I can't be killed for knowing too much)

It seems as though quite a few ghosts have made a permanent parking spot at KIAD back there at h. There's always 2 or 3 57 and 67's chilling out there.

The coolest thing I've ever seen in the air was an F-16 popping flares as it climbed across my nose intercept-style, maybe 300 feet away. Wish I'd had a camera!

Why was this happening, you ask? Well, I was in restricted airspace, buzzing along at 12,500'/150 kts in a turbo C-182RG, and the Viper was in fact intercepting me as I had closed to within 6 nm of the President's location and I wasn't responding to his calls on 121.5! (How rude of me! :D)

All true! Honest!

Except that the "President's" location was actually the Lucin VORTAC out in the Utah desert, it was a 388th Fighter Wing operational readiness exercise, and I was a "red air" player acting out a scripted scenario.

Moral of the story: CAP often gets a bad rap among GA pilots, but darn if we don't get to do cool stuff from time to time! :cool:

Back