Prescription sleeping medication and the FAA?

Krispy

Doc (and everyone),

I am in the process of applying to be hired by the FAA as an Air traffic Controller. As such I was wondering what the FAA's stance is with regards to sleeping medication (Ambien, Lunesta, etc) for Air Traffic Controllers? Would taking this medication or seeing a doctor to get a prescription for this medication be automatically disqualifying? Any and all comments very much appreciated.

I'm confused I thought Ambien and Lunesta were approved by the FAA with certain restrictions. What's up?

For pilots. I don't think they are for ATC according to the guidelines I have. This may have changed though.

Thank you for the responses, it seems a little odd (to me at least) that they would be approved for pilot use but not for ATC. Do you know whom or where I should contact to find out if this has changed for ATC also?

Look into a natural supplement like melatonin. Doctors over prescribe drugs like you wouldn't believe. Oh and no I'm not a hippie.

Thank you for the responses, it seems a little odd (to me at least) that they would be approved for pilot use but not for ATC. Do you know whom or where I should contact to find out if this has changed for ATC also?

It hasn't changed since the last update to our (ATC) med list. As the doc already said, call the regional AME. Step carefully however when it comes to having trouble sleeping...not only will the medications disqualify you, the underlying condition can be quite problematic as well.

http://aviationmedicine.com/resources/files/PDF/ATCS Drug list 2 Jun 08.doc

Back