Preliminary report for Yeti ATR crash

Damn.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 2.47.45 PM.png

Holy crap...did not expect that..

How does that even happen? Not even the same feel/motion even if your hand is in the wrong place. Not to mention 2 levers with the handles feeling completely different and the sudden changes in flight characteristics and sounds that are not flap related. Just wow.

Legend has it that at a US airline, an A320 captain once reached for the flap lever to move it themself (they had called the FO to move it, but the FO refused because they above the Vfe speed) but inadvertently manipulated an engine master switch in a rearward direction.

Legend has it that at a US airline, an A320 captain once reached for the flap lever to move it themself (they had called the FO to move it, but the FO refused because they above the Vfe speed) but inadvertently manipulated an engine master switch in a rearward direction.

So....the CA was trying to overspeed the flaps and instead reached for the Engine masters? Nice going.

Way back when, DL almost lost a 767 off LAX due to someone turning off both engine switches…caused a big shift in the CRM culture at Delta, if memory serves me correct.

Way back when, DL almost lost a 767 off LAX due to someone turning off both engine switches…caused a big shift in the CRM culture at Delta, if memory serves me correct.
Then recovered a few hundred feet above the Pacific and flew on to CVG like nothing happened. Mid 80s I think, back when Delta had many high profile incidents and accidents. Now look at them today, to be that size and run so safely for decades is very impressive.

Then recovered a few hundred feet above the Pacific and flew on to CVG like nothing happened. Mid 80s I think, back when Delta had many high profile incidents and accidents. Now look at them today, to be that size and run so safely for decades is very impressive.

Been thinking about some of these incidents lately. For example, the one out of Hawaii. Let’s say they take off, while the PM is switching frequencies the PF gets a little confused and ends up heading towards the water. They figure it out and recover the airplane (even if they pulled a few Gs doing so, there’s no G meter on the airplane. What would be the impetus to return to the airport? Once you’ve saved the day, exceeded no aircraft limitations (that you’re aware of), what is the reason to go back? (other than you’ve soiled yourself and are no longer in a mental state to continue)

Been thinking about some of these incidents lately. For example, the one out of Hawaii. Let’s say they take off, while the PM is switching frequencies the PF gets a little confused and ends up heading towards the water. They figure it out and recover the airplane (even if they pulled a few Gs doing so, there’s no G meter on the airplane. What would be the impetus to return to the airport? Once you’ve saved the day, exceeded no aircraft limitations (that you’re aware of), what is the reason to go back? (other than you’ve soiled yourself and are no longer in a mental state to continue)
A 777 full of fuel from Hawaii to CA is probably overweight for landing. I Would assume they would have had to circle for a bit to get down to MLW anyway.

A 777 full of fuel from Hawaii to CA is probably overweight for landing. I Would assume they would have had to circle for a bit to get down to MLW anyway.

Be interesting to know the answer to that question.

The 767-300 can land overweight, but there are definitely a few things to consider in that situation. I have no clue about the 777.

Delta also managed to shut off both motors in a 717 right at Top of Climb... using the autothrottles and an iPad.

My dad used to fly Mohawk between Boston and Utica/Rome, NY on business roughly twice monthly for business matters at Rome Air Development Center. He loved the airline and service, but one of his favorite stories was coming home from a trip after a double flame-out on a Bac1-11 out of Rome, with some of the associated butt-puckering until there was a relight. I still have the Mohawk "coins" he got for some gratis drinks after the event.

I also enjoyed the travel perks Mohawk offered; specifically the $29.95 unlimited/non-reservation travel 6pm Friday night to 6pm to anywhere on the Mohawk system. I covered a lot of miles and slept in a lot of their more major airports in those days. Never had a moment of undue excitement on one of their flights, and - to the best of my recollection - the event my father experienced was a one-time thing for him despite several scores of trips with the airline.

1676512242545.jpeg

Is Nepal one of those countries where you can just buy your way into a pilot job even though you don't have a pilot's license?

My dad used to fly Mohawk between Boston and Utica/Rome, NY on business roughly twice monthly for business matters at Rome Air Development Center. He loved the airline and service, but one of his favorite stories was coming home from a trip after a double flame-out on a Bac1-11 out of Rome, with some of the associated butt-puckering until there was a relight. I still have the Mohawk "coins" he got for some gratis drinks after the event.

I also enjoyed the travel perks Mohawk offered; specifically the $29.95 unlimited/non-reservation travel 6pm Friday night to 6pm to anywhere on the Mohawk system. I covered a lot of miles and slept in a lot of their more major airports in those days. Never had a moment of undue excitement on one of their flights, and - to the best of my recollection - the event my father experienced was a one-time thing for him despite several scores of trips with the airline.

View attachment 69834

That’s pretty cool. My Dad flew for Mohawk starting in August 1968.

Back