Precious metal wasted..

Not necessarily. Some planes that are stored in the desert are placed there so that they will experience little to no corrosion while they wait to be put back into service.

I know that we (Delta) have been putting them out there for a while but with them sitting there that means Pilots, F/A's and other airline people are out of work...

didn't they do a Fear Factor on that runway?
smile.gif

I don't think so. I believe they shoot Fear Factor in and around LA. The airport they used was probably Mojave, where a lot of airliners are also parked.

Surf

Indeed, they did use Mojave. My wife was flipping channels when I suddenly saw the same hills, windmills, and runways that I had been on just a few days before. Just too bad they were driving on it. Cripe, man! If you're on a runway, FLY!

Runways are also good places to drive fast ... when I was CFI-ing, the other instructors and I would run our cars down the runway ... two guys in a car with a transceiver, the passenger would transmit that we were taking the active for a "runway inspection" and look out for traffic ... the other guy would run his car to see how fast it could go. I hit 90 in my car without trying too hard (a '98 Saturn) and one of the other guys, who owned a Maxima, hit 105. Could've done better, but the runway was only 5500'.

Disclaimer ... we only did it when it was VFR so we could see aircraft inbound and only at night when almost nothing was coming or going.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Runways are also good places to drive fast ... when I was CFI-ing, the other instructors and I would run our cars down the runway ... two guys in a car with a transceiver, the passenger would transmit that we were taking the active for a "runway inspection" and look out for traffic ... the other guy would run his car to see how fast it could go. I hit 90 in my car without trying too hard (a '98 Saturn) and one of the other guys, who owned a Maxima, hit 105. Could've done better, but the runway was only 5500'.

Disclaimer ... we only did it when it was VFR so we could see aircraft inbound and only at night when almost nothing was coming or going.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

.....always wanted to do that.

Would love to do that in my 04 Acura RSX type-S. Think that I could get up to 150-155 mph. here at CVG with our 10,000+ ft. runway.

Right before I get arrested....
crazy.gif

Matthew

formerly Zen~Aku

Matthew, I also did this at a non-towered field in the sticks, not in the middle of a Class Bravo at a major airline hub! But yeah, that RSX would probably move ...

FL270

Back