Practice PAN and Overeacting to Emergencies

I_Money

In England we were allowed to tune into 121.5 and as long as it was quiet we could practice pan a number of situations (being lost is the only one I remember). I found this GREAT - it was great to hear there is actually someone on 121.5, it is great to have a run through, and it really gave me the confidence that ATC is really a part of team 'Iain', and were not an old school master bossing you about. Why can't you do this in the US?

Also is there any back course for a pilot to makes a huge deal out of a relatively minor emergency, lets say going Mayday for an open cargo door on a C-172? Or is it a case that you do not judge when they declare an emergency - one man's emergency, is anothers inconvience?

Also is there any back course for a pilot to makes a huge deal out of a relatively minor emergency, lets say going Mayday for an open cargo door on a C-172? Or is it a case that you do not judge when they declare an emergency - one man's emergency, is anothers inconvience?

You said it. The PIC gets to make the call however they see fit.

Why can't you do this in the US?

Probably because there are far more airplanes flying in The U.S.

If you feel it's an emergency, declare it. Nobody will give you a hard time about it either way.

Back