PPL - my cost breakdowns, etc - FYI

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Most people 'round these parts seem to do the FBO thing and/or the career-type training. When I first started looking for alternatives to ATP, it was DE727UPS (thank you, Don) who suggested finding a local flying club.

So I joined the North Texas Flying Club out of KTKI (McKinney, TX) and connected with an instructor, earned my private through them. Thought I'd give you guys a rundown on what I spent so you can see what was essential, what was optional, what was unnecessary in your budget planning. This all started in October, 2007, to give you a rough idea of the economics over the last 7 months.

All training was conducted in 1980's-era C-152s.

Flight Instruction and Aircraft Rental:
  • $4854 Oct '07 through April '08. Haven't received May statement yet, but it should be around $500, so call it $5400 and change. This also includes the $200 initial membership fee and $50 a month x 7 months in dues, so a total of $550 of that is just club stuff. I had 45.7 hours in the logbook when I was endorsed for the practical test, and then I logged another 2.5 solo just practicing the day before it, however, the total includes that practice time.
Total: $5400
Supplies/Books (necessities)
  • My CFI set me up with a "kit" of books that had the PTS, AFH, FAR/AIM, POH and a few other books for around $70. Also got me a deal on a brand-new AvComm headset (passive) for $105 - so, $175 total for that. Plus I bought a second FAR to keep in my bathroom for regular reading. Seriously. This helps. $15.00
  • Rod Machado's Private Pilot Flying Handbook. I consider this an absolute must-have, and it taught me darn near everything I needed for the written and for XC work. $40 extremely well spent. Scored a 92 on the written mostly because of this book.
  • Ultimate Kneeboard - $35.00. Love this thing. Sort of small, fighter-pilot style.
Total: $265
Supplies/Books (optional, but nice to have)
  • Used Pilot USA ANR Headset - Wanted a second headset, lighter, with ANR. It's been a good headset but I'm going to have it refurbed by the factory. It was $220 shipped on Ebay.
  • Bought a Sporty's PPL Kit to handle my ground and get the electronic E6b in the process. It was somewhat helpful, but I don't think it was worth $200. Should have taken a formal ground-school course instead. Would have learned more for slightly more money. On the plus side, the guy that does their weather stuff performs for insomniacs who don't respond to strong drugs.
  • ASA Flight Timer - Didn't need it, but again, kinda handy to have since I rarely wear a watch and the clock in the plane was broken. $40
  • ASA Tri-fold Kneeboard - Didn't know what I was thinking when I bought it. Used it a couple times, decided I didn't like it, just had to be smarter about how I used my other kneeboard. It's just sitting here now. $35
  • Small Metal E6B - I just liked it. I'm trying to learn how to use it better instead of the electronic one. Fits nicely in the kneeboard pocket. $30
  • Assorted Charts, Publications - Probably around $50 over 7 months.
  • Ride-Ready Oral Test Prep Software - $25. I could have done it without the software, but it sure helped me study a lot, especially when I was in places where I couldn't spread out my stuff, like when I was sitting on an airplane or waiting for one on business trips.
Total: $600
Grand Total: $6265.00 - at least, a VERY close approximation.

That's not a bad price at all for a PPL, considering all the other extra, uncessary junk I spent money on. There are less tangible expenses - such as fuel to go to and from the airport, quick meals, sodas, a few flashlights, etc, but you get the idea. I'd budgeted $6K to get the license, so I came in pretty darn close.

You can save a lot of money and get very high-quality instruction if you search around. Flying clubs are definitely a good option.

Hope this is helpful to aspiring PPLs.

Feel free to ask any questions you want, but ask them here unless it's a personal-nature-type question. Others can benefit from what you're asking. :D

This is handy thx, I just recently started my ppl training, at 6.8 hrs right now and I have(well had 6.8 hrs ago) 4000 dollars in a bank account. I figured I would have to put some extra coin down to finish but thats a great start. ANyway how much was your 152 hourly rental? These numbers area a good help in figuring out my own costs but would like to know your hourly rate, for me its 78 dollars an hour. thx

This is handy thx, I just recently started my ppl training, at 6.8 hrs right now and I have(well had 6.8 hrs ago) 4000 dollars in a bank account. I figured I would have to put some extra coin down to finish but thats a great start. ANyway how much was your 152 hourly rental? These numbers area a good help in figuring out my own costs but would like to know your hourly rate, for me its 78 dollars an hour. thx

The rates on the 152s in my club were $87 an hour, however, we billed for tach time rather than hobbs time. It saves some money, particularly when you're doing pattern work and flying at low-RPM. Also saved on busy days when we were sitting there waiting to get out behind 7-9 other airplanes.

Generally, if I put an hour of time on the hobbs doing pattern work, it would come in at around .7 on the tach, so that's what I was billed for. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up over time. X-C flying, the savings aren't so much there, unless you throttle it way back and putt along at 75-80 knots.

The instruction was $23 an hour, which the instructor kept $21 of.

Flying clubs are indeed a great way to go if you can find a good one - the one I'm in is $250 to join, $40 a month, $69 an hour (tach time) for a 172...it can definatley save some cash.

That's a fair price. The current cost at my flight school for a C172 per hour is $139 (2003 model) and $50/hr for the instructor. It's $60 per hour for advanced instruction.

I should have added that the rates at that flying club ARE going up - to $102 per hour tach time on the 152 as of June 1. 100LL at the FBO is rumored to be going up to around $6-7 a gallon.

The club I'm with now still charges $75 an hour, block hobbs, but I wonder if we're going to get an email any time soon about an increase.

Avgas here in SW Ohio is already at the $5.19 point so I would assume ya'll in TX would see at least that much if not higher.

Those are great prices, killbilly. I'm paying about 80/hr for a 152, +35/hr for the instructor. The only problem is that it's about a 40 min drive from my house...but my car is pretty fuel efficient :D

Back