PPL....Check!

troopernflight

Finished up around 5:30pm today with my oral and checkride. Everything went very well. Although, I started out forgetting to use the checklist for engine start and I said "ok, let's try this again". (And no, the engine didn't start because I didn't have the fuel pump on). I got it started and everything went off without a hitch from that point on. Probably the most difficult part was keeping track of my location and him sporatically asking "so where are we now". I would start by saying, "oh, I think we are north of Easley", etc. Examiner: "ok, point out were we are on the sectional". Me talking to myself: "hey dummy, use the VOR's and do a cross check!" Surprisingly, we started heading back to the airport after about 1 hr and 10 minutes. I was thinking, dang...did I tank some maneuver and we are just heading back because I'm not ready?? He had me perform some emergency procedures and a no-flap landing at GMU. He didn't say anything until I shut down on the ramp. Then he said, "so you still want to be a private pilot?". Me: "Um, heck yes!"....Examiner: "Congratulations!" Long story short, I was smiling the whole way home. Got it knocked out in 43.5 hours, 7 months. On to the instrument rating, I got my first lesson tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Wow, just wow! You did that in no time. Congrats man! That's awesome. You should be very proud of yourself.

Congrats!! That is quite amazing. I know of people who are up in the 80s and 100s (of hours) but have yet to get it done...I'm thinking their flight instructors like $$$.

I'm hoping to do what you did, finish up the PPL at the bare minimums and start on the instrument..i'm addicted to this thing called flying, you see.

Robbie

Enjoy the feeling. I'm right behind you.

As for instrument training, did you get to do a bit of studying already? The biggest mistake in my PPL training is that I didn't spend enough time doing the book work, so now that I have pretty much all of the hour requirements the knowledge is still killing me. Won't be doing the same mistake with the instrument, that's for sure.

Keep us posted on your training.

Enjoy the feeling. I'm right behind you.

As for instrument training, did you get to do a bit of studying already? The biggest mistake in my PPL training is that I didn't spend enough time doing the book work, so now that I have pretty much all of the hour requirements the knowledge is still killing me. Won't be doing the same mistake with the instrument, that's for sure.

Keep us posted on your training.
I know what you mean. It's hard to keep on track with the studying when you are having so much fun flying. I tell my friends and family, you have no idea how much goes into becoming a pilot. It is no easy task, that's for sure. Seriously, the average person in society has no idea how much education an airline pilot must have to even make it to that point. Now that I'm starting on instrument, I'm going to have to study double time since a lot of the material will be foreign to me. Good luck to you!

Back