Possibly going Army National Guard...

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Hey all, just thought I'd get some feedback from everyone. Here's the situation...I've already dropped 25K on getting my PPL and Instrument (long story, don't ask) and we all know that with the industry right now, if you don't already have your fixed wing ratings it's not that cost effective to do so right now. I'm debating on going into the Arizona Army National Guard in order to fly helos. I have 4 yrs prior Army experience..2002-2006, so no need to redo basic...so if I could get in guaranteed to go flight warrant, my only other hurdle is convincing my wife..who is dead set against it...she's convinced I'll be deployed and die (deployed yes...die, well, that's not ours to decide.) The AZNG has a pretty active flight program from my research...so, what do ya'll think?

Since you are already familiar with the Army you already know what you'd be getting into. If you're asking if it's worth joining the Guard just to fly helicopters, I'll say no. However, if you liked the Army before, want to serve your country again, and just want to do so in a pilot capacity this time, go for it!

Convincing your wife is a whole other topic... she's probably thinking you just want to fly and will sacrifice anything to do it. She probably doesn't want to be sacrificed. Have you been deployed before? 12-18 months is a long, looooong time, brother. Consider that very carefully.

Ian, you bring up a good point, because I feel like I've missed the comraderie I had while Active Duty. No, I was never deployed, but I was engaged while I was in Korea for 14 months....not the same I know. All I've wanted to do was fly professionally since I got the bug about 8 years ago, this would help lead into oppurtunities with the Border Patrol and other gigs..on the other hand, call me crazy, but the airline pilot's lifestyle is attractive as well. I think for me, this decision is based on just wanting to fly..and given the fact I kind of miss the Army...I could have the best of both worlds by going Guard.

Back