Places to Stay in OKC

teetee

I have been searching out the different FAA approved places to stay in OKC. I know that after the PEPC you get all the listings, but by that point they could all be full. I was thinking this would be a good spot to list all the places. Also, possibly this could be a good place for people interested in roommates and such!

This is the list I found online:

http://www.academy.faa.gov/ama100/housing.asp

You can choose apartments or hotels..it lists them all. Hope it helps anyone else that is looking!

didn't really see much info on this... do any of those places allow pets? (dog)

A Couple of places allow pets for a fee. My Wife has already reserved a place at Meridian Mansions since its one of hte few places that allows pets. She is sceduled for OKC 9/8 and if everything goes well I'll be starting in either Dec/Jan.

What is considered long/short term?

It depends on the place, but academy students would be considered long term. I looked it up a while ago, so I don't remember exactly where I found it, but short term is usually up to 16 days... and you'll be there longer than that.

I would recommend looking at craigslist I found a place on there that is much cheaper and in a safer neighborhood than most of the FAA approved housing. There are a lot of people on there who cater to FAA students by renting a room in there house with all utilities included for 600 or less, also if your bringing a family they do have furnished apartments on there too.

I would recommend looking at craigslist I found a place on there that is much cheaper and in a safer neighborhood than most of the FAA approved housing. There are a lot of people on there who cater to FAA students by renting a room in there house with all utilities included for 600 or less, also if your bringing a family they do have furnished apartments on there too.

I would be careful about renting a room from someone as I read on here somewhere that you have to stay in commercial housing to qualify for the per diem, a room in someones house may not qualify...idk.:rolleyes:

A Couple of places allow pets for a fee. My Wife has already reserved a place at Meridian Mansions since its one of hte few places that allows pets. She is sceduled for OKC 9/8 and if everything goes well I'll be starting in either Dec/Jan.

great thanks :) hope the fee isnt too big for a broke college student like myself

I would be careful about renting a room from someone as I read on here somewhere that you have to stay in commercial housing to qualify for the per diem, a room in someones house may not qualify...idk.:rolleyes:
ive heard some contradicting information. seems like about half say you have to stay in FAA only places, and the other half say that you just have to provide a copy of the lease/receipt

ive heard some contradicting information. seems like about half say you have to stay in FAA only places, and the other half say that you just have to provide a copy of the lease/receipt

From reading and talking to people ,I don't think you have any problems staying somewhere else besides the FAA approved housing. From going through craigslist I found several people that rent studios or bedrooms to FAA students. Some of them cater just to FAA students with furnished apartments and referrals for current and past renters.

There is one gentleman who rents out multiple rooms of his victorian mansion for less than $400 a month. If you do the math the cost is less than $14 a day, you could save over $2,000 by rentng a place like this. Compared to $40 a day for one of the approved housing units.

i was planning on buying a house in a few months. it would sure help if i could rent out a few rooms to students. it sure would help pay the mortgage if i could rent out a few rooms. i was even thinking in the ballpark of 350 a mo.

There is one gentleman who rents out multiple rooms of his victorian mansion for less than $400 a month. If you do the math the cost is less than $14 a day, you could save over $2,000 by rentng a place like this. Compared to $40 a day for one of the approved housing units.

That'd be perfect to tape ATC Academy Real World (with a Top Chef twist of sorts).

That mansion sounds quite nice. Have any more info for it? I'm heading down to OKC in about a month. What's the best procedure for getting housing? Some seem to have everything worked-out in advance while others seemed just to show up and take care of it once in town. Are roommates common? I wouldn't mind having one if it meant sharing the costs.

I checked into this and as long as the leaser can provide a copy of a lease (one that they could write up thierselves) and a reciept every month than you can get full per diem for staying anywhere. On a different note, you should check into any place you find on craigslist, I even got the numbers of people that have already stayed there to talk to them about the owners, so do a little research before you jump into anything but you save so much more money this way, than the FAA approved housing and from what I have heard most of them are a dump.

What do you mean by a lease written up by themselves? Basically, if you have a lease and a receipt each month or every 2 weeks you get the full $79? Have others verified that?

What do you mean by a lease written up by themselves? Basically, if you have a lease and a receipt each month or every 2 weeks you get the full $79? Have others verified that?

On another ATC forum I have a post looking for a roommate for my Sept 8th class and someone replied with this;

Bloomer,

I own a house that I've been leasing to ATCTI students for a couple of years that is currently vacant, if you are interested. It's a three bedroom home, fully furnished and stocked with all the kitchen gear that you could want, full size washer and dryer in the basement and I provide basic cable and a wireless internet hookup.

With three people in the house, it runs approximately 22 a day, with the prorata, but a little less than that for the full months (350/room per month). The house has one bunk bed in it, so I can actually house up to four people, but there's only one bathroom so it requires people getting along. The house is about 10 miles from the Airport and training center so it's a convenient drive. The neighborhood is quiet, and if you have any troubles with the house, my Mom serves as my property manager and she lives directly across the street.

If you are interested, or anyone else that is interested, email me at ?????? I do offer a legal lease and receipts that have been accepted for reimbursables for all my past tenants.

Jon

Back