Pipeline Patrol

Nit pipeline but i fly aerial survey, as a few fellow jc'ers do. Who do u fly for, if u don't mind asking? Feel free to pm as well. I'll check on the post otherwise.

Nit pipeline but i fly aerial survey, as a few fellow jc'ers do. Who do u fly for, if u don't mind asking? Feel free to pm as well. I'll check on the post otherwise.

Do all aerial survey jobs require you to be on the road for extended periods of time? Are there operators that do day trips or 1-2 overnights a week? I fly pipeline now, love it, but would be interested if aerial survey could help me build multi.

There are some companies that do more of a 2 to 4 week on schedule and then 1 to 2 weeks off, but it is far more common for companies to have you on the road for most if not all of the "survey season". And most survey companies don't fly anything ME. The ones that do that I've talked to mostly require 1500+TT and minimum 500+ME to hop right into the multi. Most companies that fly survey with a ME only allow pilots to get promoted into the multi from within the company.

There are some companies that do more of a 2 to 4 week on schedule and then 1 to 2 weeks off, but it is far more common for companies to have you on the road for most if not all of the "survey season". And most survey companies don't fly anything ME. The ones that do that I've talked to mostly require 1500+TT and minimum 500+ME to hop right into the multi. Most companies that fly survey with a ME only allow pilots to get promoted into the multi from within the company.
I currently work survey flying a twin. Usually the above quote is the norm, as a matter of fact, we just hired a guy to be an operator, then move into our single engine (single pilot film operation), and only after that into a multi. I think our mins were 1000TT for pilot and 500TT for operator. Schedule is usually m-f at the office if there is no flying, or if you go on the road, it could be from a couple of days to max 3 weeks. After that you get time off. Unlike alot of companies where you live at home and get flown out to the plane/mission, you'd have to live in boise.

I currently work survey flying a twin. Usually the above quote is the norm, as a matter of fact, we just hired a guy to be an operator, then move into our single engine (single pilot film operation), and only after that into a multi. I think our mins were 1000TT for pilot and 500TT for operator. Schedule is usually m-f at the office if there is no flying, or if you go on the road, it could be from a couple of days to max 3 weeks. After that you get time off. Unlike alot of companies where you live at home and get flown out to the plane/mission, you'd have to live in boise.

Sounds like a decent schedule for aerial mapping. Boise is on my list of places I would love to live. Beautiful mountains up there.

Yeah, scenery is nice. With survey work, however, I've seen most of the scenery anywhere but here.. We might be looking for another crew and to put a plane down in arizona for the winter (rotating crews every 2 weeks). Nothing certain yet though, may pop up last minute or may be a while. I'll do my best to follow this post and let you guys know. if anyone is interested, feel free to PM. Just keep in mind, i haven't heard " we're looking for someone right now" yet. Thats in case anyone is interested in this kind of a gig.

Considering trying to tap into the pipeline patrol industry. I have just under 500TT and around 250 of tail wheel. Any suggestions?

Any names on those companies? I'd love to do survey or something, but the 9 month sentence isn't for me at the moment.

Any names on those companies? I'd love to do survey or something, but the 9 month sentence isn't for me at the moment.

Air Associates of Kansas. Haven't worked for them but they are week on week off rotation. I believe they require you to live within 3 hours of Kansas City. To be competitive the guy told me you need 750 hrs and CFI.

I fly a twin doing aerial mapping in the DC/MD/VA area for a company called Air Photographics. It's M-F gig but we just worked today because the last week and a half was poor weather. Doesn't make much but I'm home every day, got hired 160 hours short of 135 mins and building high performance time from here on out.

Air Associates of Kansas. Haven't worked for them but they are week on week off rotation. I believe they require you to live within 3 hours of Kansas City. To be competitive the guy told me you need 750 hrs and CFI.

This is about 98% true. First, it's an 8 on 6 off (rarely 9 on 5 off) 24/7 365 job. Once you're flown home, that's your time and 99.9999% of the time won't be bothered to come in or anything. You get to keep your airline and hotel points and fly very new equipment. Our oldest bird is a 98 with the rest being 04's or newer. At the very end of last year we picked up 3 brand new off the line in Wichita G1000's. Times to get hired used to be 800TT with a CFI. Lately we've hired a few 500TT CSEL. During the interview it's not so much about flying the airplane (as most people with a Comm Cert should be able to do this, although we've found exceptions) as it is your attitude and outlook. Basically, can other people stand to be with you in an airplane and everywhere else for 8 days at a time? Personality is HUGE for us as the wrong person can make 8 days feel like 8 months.

It's been posted in the jobs available forum but we are currently full. If you need the correspondence email, find it in the jobs available section or send me a pm.

Relocation within 2-3 hrs of KC is mandatory as MCI is where you'd be 121'ing to and from the work location.

This is about 98% true. First, it's an 8 on 6 off (rarely 9 on 5 off) 24/7 365 job. Once you're flown home, that's your time and 99.9999% of the time won't be bothered to come in or anything. You get to keep your airline and hotel points and fly very new equipment. Our oldest bird is a 98 with the rest being 04's or newer. At the very end of last year we picked up 3 brand new off the line in Wichita G1000's. Times to get hired used to be 800TT with a CFI. Lately we've hired a few 500TT CSEL. During the interview it's not so much about flying the airplane (as most people with a Comm Cert should be able to do this, although we've found exceptions) as it is your attitude and outlook. Basically, can other people stand to be with you in an airplane and everywhere else for 8 days at a time? Personality is HUGE for us as the wrong person can make 8 days feel like 8 months.

It's been posted in the jobs available forum but we are currently full. If you need the correspondence email, find it in the jobs available section or send me a pm.

Relocation within 2-3 hrs of KC is mandatory as MCI is where you'd be 121'ing to and from the work location.

Thanks for the correction, it had been awhile since I talk to them.... When did you guys pick up those 500TT people? I am sitting around 500TT but didn't think I would have a chance. Is there a possibility that I could get picked up next time they hire?

Thanks for the correction, it had been awhile since I talk to them.... When did you guys pick up those 500TT people? I am sitting around 500TT but didn't think I would have a chance. Is there a possibility that I could get picked up next time they hire?

I don't know as I don't do the initial interviews anymore but I would guess in the last 6-8 months we've picked up a few guys with 5-600TT. We are full now, but could lose 8 people tomorrow. It comes in waves and we haven't lost anyone recently, so I'm guessing there'll be a small hiring in the near future when people decide to do something else. The best thing would be to get your resume to our CP and reference that you found it on Jetcareers and spoke to the SO about the position. Put yourself in position for the next time the window opens as there's usually a few guys on deck already when the hiring is announced.

The Air Associates operation is a great gig. Decent pay, plenty of time off, the travel benefits rack up real quick...

The Air Associates operation is a great gig. Decent pay, plenty of time off, the travel benefits rack up real quick...

Mind sharing what the pay range is? I could see myself moving my family to the area if the money is right. (oh and getting hired...there's that too.)

When I started several years ago, it was 24K with raises at 6 months, a year, two years, and three years. Topped out at 43K if I remember right. Benefits too.

Hey, any other pipeline pilots on here.
Once upon a time I flew pipeline in Texas... It was a great job although the hours were long and relentless. I remember a few of my friends flying upwards of 2000 hours in a years time... Especially when we were short staffed.

Yep, pipeline can be a LOT of flying, but if you are lucky, you can fly 3 days a week and be home every evening

Back