Pipeline Patrol Pilot at American Patrols (Midland, TX)

AmericanPatrols

Do you have a track record of unquestionable integrity and want to be a part of a growing, winning TEAM?

We are looking for a high-achieving pilot to join our team. Must enjoy low-level, VFR flying, have at least 400 hours of total time, and immediate availability. (Please do not submit if not meeting the time minimum.)

Our pilots enjoy a fun and challenging job, have 8 off per month, and fly consistently. Typical schedule is 5 on / 2 off.

Minimum of 400 Hours Total Time, Commercial Single-engine Land, Instrument Rating, Previous Commercial Pilot Experience Preferred, CFI Highly Preferred.

Must Be Current and Proficient in a Cessna 172

Comfortable in High Winds and Small Runways Safety Oriented Attitude Impeccable Stick and Rudder Skills, High Level of Situational Awareness

ONE YEAR CONTRACT REQUIRED, with completion bonus. We are looking for unwavering COMMITMENT. We will help you get the hours you need to progress quickly to the next step in your career. You have to be committed mentally for a year. The rest of our team is counting on YOU.

Starting pay will be approximately $35,000 per year with 100% employer covered Health Insurance for employee provided.

American Patrols, Inc. is looking to hire exceptional and dedicated personnel. We invest in your education and training to offer a unique opportunity for you to build your capabilities and career in aviation. A career with us offers you some of the most challenging and rewarding flying of your life.

You will be able to build your flight time and your skills while patrolling the growing oil fields of West Texas and Southeast New Mexico in a Cessna 172. Subsidized housing (individual room) is available and a one year contract is required. Completion Bonus paid after one year term is completed. Must have reliable transportation.

FWIW.... I worked for this outfit about ten years ago. I enjoyed my time there... I flew my backside off, got paid on time, no drama, and the planes were maintained appropriately. It may be under different ownership now but back then the owners were good hardworking people. The CP at the time was easy to work for and I never felt pressured to do something I felt to be unsafe. It’s a challenging job and the only issue I ran into during my time there was maintaining IFR currency as the work was day VFR flying only. Again this is dated info but I wouldn’t hestitate to go work for them again if I needed to.

I've sent my resume and hope to hear from them soon. I have around 800 tt with 300h in C172, C182.

What are the minimums? What is the contract for and how much? "We invest in your education and training..." how?

35000 a year ! this is a Joke
Many Part 141 flight school is paying alot higher than $35,000 per year.

$35,000/12 months = US$2916.67 per month.
After tax deduction, rounded off to $2200 per month.

I love to be adventurous to explore and work something unusual.

Last edited:
I am single, unmarried, no loan or debt. I don't mind being adventurous to explore and work something unusual.

You’ve described yourself as the exact opposite type person that should move to midland. Especially for that pay. Just a heads up.

I can work until end of this year if they are willing to consider.
I have lots of C172 time. Definitely, met all requirements.
I am single, unmarried, no loan or debt. I don't mind being adventurous to explore and work something unusual.

Build time and patrolling is fun. So long, I can build constant flying hours and get paid.
Subsidized housing is fair to me. How much do I have pay monthly?
Also, I will get myself a car if I have the job.

You might consider having this conversation with them directly instead of having it in the forum here.

Also dealt with AP out of Midlands, though it was longer than 10 years ago. They were straight and fair. Pay was on time, and while the aircraft weren't pretty, they flew fast and straight. Don't know if its the same group, but base pay was only the base. If you were not a poophead, they'd throw extra flying your way. Made way more with a couple cloud seeding flights.

As previously stated, the only problem is building or maintaining IFR time. It's all VFR flying, at or below 500', trying read the tops of oil pumps if you find one leaking on a route. Be prepared to spend most of your 8+ hour day bouncing around thermals, sweating your butt off in the summer, and trying to squeeze all the heat you can out of the heater in the winter, all the while the sweet smell of sulfur from the refineries tickle your nose.

So for those naysayers - fine, someone could make more babysitting from the right seat at a 141 school, but this is a decent enough way to make scratch while building time to make a move to the next flying gig without having to do the CFI route if someone was not so inclined. Just the facts, ma'am.

The starting pay used to be 40k/year with the same benefits. I’ve heard good things about the new ownership, but cost of living is very high in Midland and I would caution anyone to think twice about signing an employment contract in today’s environment. The job is fun but will do little for your career advancement except for increasing total time. If you’re looking to build time quickly and get to a regional though many have done it this way.

The starting pay used to be 40k/year with the same benefits. I’ve heard good things about the new ownership, but cost of living is very high in Midland and I would caution anyone to think twice about signing an employment contract in today’s environment. The job is fun but will do little for your career advancement except for increasing total time. If you’re looking to build time quickly and get to a regional though many have done it this way.

What’s the average rental going for there? And what about IFR currency? And how many hours for the year?

What’s the average rental going for there? And what about IFR currency? And how many hours for the year?

Haven’t rented in about 5 years but I think a 1br/1ba at one of the newer apartments is above $1,000/month. Older apartments in worse neighborhoods will be lower. When I moved out of my last apartment I was paying $1,700/month for a 2 br at a not great place.

Pretty sure you’re on your own for IFR currency, and I think you’d fly 25-30 hours a week.

This opportunity is what it is. A great way to rack up some time. I inquired on the living options, was told $750 a month will get u corporate housing.

This opportunity is what it is. A great way to rack up some time. I inquired on the living options, was told $750 a month will get u corporate housing.

Any idea on how to get in with that company? I have applied a few times and no response.

Any idea on how to get in with that company? I have applied a few times and no response.
Not really. I just called the other day and she said she’d be looking for my app. Kind of sounded like they were eager for someone. I have not applied yet.

Back