Pilots suggest American Eagle will fade away

Trip7

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2011/05/16/pilots-suggest-american-eagle-will-fade-away/page1?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

© Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation

American Eagle pilots suggest American may allow American Eagle to simply fade away in favour of CPA agreements with more cost-effective regionals, according to a missive sent to members from American Eagle ALPA MEC Chair Tony Gutierrez.

A thorough investigation of Eagle’s books confirmed what other regionals have been saying since American Eagle’s inception in 1984, that its costs are too high. Indeed, it is clear pilots have little hope for one of America’s largest regionals. Eagle ranked fourth in size in the industry in mid-2010 with 18.7 million passengers. It is not surprising that is ranks number one in the industry in terms of employment which rose to 9240 employees.

ALPA, representing Eagle pilots, recently completed what the union described as an “open-book review of the company’s costs, operations and possible business plans for a proposed independent company," Mr Gutierrez wrote. “We have consulted attorneys, investment bankers, and financial analysts on the potential effects of a divestiture on Eagle.”

Mr Gutierrez concluded that Eagle, is suffering from cost disadvantages just as is its major-carrier partner and is unlikely to survive as a stand-alone carrier because costs would make it almost impossible to win competitive CPA contests even for its own routes.

Spinning off Eagle was always been a very long shot given the track record with other regionals that tried to develop independent operations. ExpressJet is perhaps the closest example as Continental Express executives acquired it from Continental renaming it ExpressJet. However, they took more aircraft than was needed for the Continental feeder operations and could not place it in other CPA contracts to increase the client portfolio and the survivability of the company. Thus, they had little choice but to try branded service similar to Horizon but they were modeling themselves on something that was not that successful in the first place. Coupled with the merciless rise in fuel in 2008, the branded operation was forced to cease operations, much as Independence Air nee Atlantic Coast Airlines, had a few years earlier.

The timing for ExpressJet was unpropitious at best but American Eagle faces the same dynamics today, or worse given its costs. Other regionals have passed on the possible acquisition pointing to costs, just as they have passed on the acquisition of Comair. The fact that Eagle could fade away in their favour must be very fetching to them.

Any new owners will need to reduce overhead sharply and it will likely mean a dramatic restructuring beyond that to get costs in line with their regional peers. American Eagle’s application for blanket permission to fly to any US Open Skies partner a hint of the future. It already has international experience given its Caribbean, Canadian and Mexican rights already held. But given the revelations of the pilot corps, this can be seen, perhaps, as too little, too late.

Mr Gutierrez’s letter confirmed the worst for the operation. "Simply put, AMRs intention is to diversify its regional feed,” he said. “Eagle will do less flying for American in the future and our competitors will be hired to perform the flying that we lose. In fact, management has already begun to lay the groundwork necessary to transfer Eagle’s aircraft, such that they will be owned by AMR and will be available for other regional carriers to bid on."

To say his members are angry is an understatement given the description of factions that want to mount all out warfare on their parent company. He disagreed, however, saying whether or not the regional remains as a subsidiary will likely not produce any more job security than diversification.

“What has protected us from being whipsawed over the past 14 years has not been our wholly owned status, but our 16-year pilot contract which provided the company with labor stability and a long-term guarantee of industry-standard costs,” he responded. “Another significant and stabilizing factor was that AMR is responsible for the mortgages on our aircraft. As those aircraft begin to be paid off over the next few years, we fully expect that AMR will begin the diversification process, even if we remain wholly owned, and subject Eagle to the bidding process to retain its flying. Without intervention, our costs very well could exceed the market rate for regional feed. Therefore, we face the same challenge as a wholly owned carrier as we will if we are an independent company.”

Pilots had expected an announcement during AMR’s shareholder’s meeting this week on 18-May. However, later information indicated the decision on divestiture will be put off, said Mr Gutierrez. Consequently, the union is postponing efforts to negotiate with management to ensure the surviving company “gets off on a solid footing,” until after more clarification on American’s plans for Eagle.

Mr Gutierrez outlined what can be expected after the divestiture announcement is made. AMR will file a Form 10 with the Securities and Exchange Commission to be followed by a three- to five-month investigation to ensure it has reflected an accurate financial picture. Should the divestiture be approved by the commission, AMR would spin off the regional to existing shareholders to become a publicly traded company.

The union has already filed a grievance on the potential transfer and has already presented its case to an arbitrator. However, it is basing any agreement on gaining a “long-term Air Services Agreement with legitimate guarantees to provide feed for AA and, thereby, the job security”.

That is some gloomy news for Eagle after going from one of the industry's longest upgrades to one of the fastest.

Looks like someone got themselves a subscription to Eaglelounge and has taken the bits and pieces they want. AMR has a Board meeting tomorrow. Supposedly our fate is TBD then, though they said that for the last 3 Board meetings. I have only been at the airlines a year and have already figured out that there is a LARGE amount of crud info - Believe it when it happens.

Well this news is scary, seeing how I am currently awaiting a class date with them.

Lol. Stop that nonsense. You don't get scared by internet rumors you embrace them and laugh. This is comedy central for you.

Listen my friend, rumors are fun and stress relieving, if you don't hear one you want to hear by 10am make it up. The best is when they come back to you. For instance, "Eagle separates from AMR for the AMR/JetBlue merger, then does regional flying exclusively for the new AMR/Blue group as a 'BlueEagle' and flow positions start immediately."

Or...
somehow work Virgin in there with Blue and make it a BlueVirginEagle with a Red Wood!

We really gonna discredit the statements of Eagle's MEC Chairman?

I'm not necessarily of the mindset to "discredit" what he says as much as I am in the mindset of "I will believe it when I see it."

It would be interesting to get the input of some of our union reps who are on this site. I'm sure they could shed more light on the subject.

In the mean time, I'm not going to fall into line behind the "Chicken Littles" and cry "the sky is falling." When a definitive announcement is made, then I will worry. So far, that has not happened.

Excerpts from:
Remarks of Gerard Arpey
Chairman and CEO
2011 AMR Shareholders Meeting
May 18, 2011

At American Eagle, our regional carrier, we have invested to give premium customers in the most important business markets a level of comfort never before possible on Eagle. We purchased 22 new Bombardier CRJ-700 regional jets, configured to include a first class cabin, and reconfigured the 25 CRJ-700s already in the Eagle fleet to match.

We have invested in American Eagle because of the very important role it plays, providing connecting traffic to American Airlines flights from small to medium-sized markets - and, because we believe it can have a bright future. That said, I know most of you are aware that we have been evaluating a different ownership structures for our regional carrier. From an American Airlines point of view, a new ownership structure might better enable us to diversify our regional feeder network, and allow market forces to ensure that we are receiving the connecting traffic that's needed to fill AA flights, at a competitive cost.

Our evaluation, which is ongoing, has included many scenarios, including spinning off the enterprise to our shareholders, selling the company to third parties, or retaining ownership while still diversifying our regional feed network. As we finalize our alternatives, we intend to collaborate with our employee groups to hopefully find a solution that meets all parties' interests while creating a competitive and sustainable regional airline.

To that end, we have asked Eagle's CEO Dan Garton to work with Eagle's pilots union and other groups to develop a range of possible solutions that achieves American's goals while laying the groundwork for Eagle's future as a successful regional airline.

There was much, much more regarding American Airlines, it's codeshares and productivity, but this was the part that specifically referred to Eagle. In short, what I read from this is "we still don't know what we are going to do with Eagle......." Some folks (namely the captain I'm flying with this month), interpret it further to say "we are working with Eagle pilots to gain concessions/salary cuts...."

Personally, I didn't read it that way, but......that may be just my take.

This was my point - Every month there is a rumor that at the NEXT meeting, Eagle will be sold off. In my short year at the airlines, I have quickly learned not to believe a thing until it happens.

Like Comair, I don't think AMR will ever find a buyer for AE. Especially when they make it no secret they want to diversify its regional feed. What protections the Eagle have from AMR giving them the Comair treatment by parking planes and/or just transferring them to another regional?

Like Comair, I don't think AMR will ever find a buyer for AE. Especially when they make it no secret they want to diversify its regional feed. What protections the Eagle have from AMR giving them the Comair treatment by parking planes and/or just transferring them to another regional?

1. Because of AA scope only 4 other airlines can bid for AE flying. (Xjet, TSA, CHQ, and Air Wisconsin). My understanding is Xjet and Air Wisconsin will cost AMR more then what Eagle does. I can't see then ever going flying to TSA again, and BB keeps saying he wants out of the 50 seat game.

2. Eagle owns the planes.

3.Right now we are the cheapest feed for them. They have said they pay Eagle and CHQ the same amount per a departure. They say CHQ makes 5%-7% profit margin and Eagle makes 2% profit margin on that amount. But the thing is any money Eagle makes goes right back to AMR so in a way Eagle is 2% cheaper then CHQ.

1. Because of AA scope only 4 other airlines can bid for AE flying. (Xjet, TSA, CHQ, and Air Wisconsin). My understanding is Xjet and Air Wisconsin will cost AMR more then what Eagle does. I can't see then ever going flying to TSA again, and BB keeps saying he wants out of the 50 seat game.

2. Eagle owns the planes.

3.Right now we are the cheapest feed for them. They have said they pay Eagle and CHQ the same amount per a departure. They say CHQ makes 5%-7% profit margin and Eagle makes 2% profit margin on that amount. But the thing is any money Eagle makes goes right back to AMR so in a way Eagle is 2% cheaper then CHQ.

I have a hard time believing that XJT is more expensive than Eagle...

Back