Pilots and skin cancer

I watched my Dad go through a couple years of interferon therapy due to melanoma. It is nothing to take lightly and quite lethal if not caught in time.

Sunscreen, my friend. Lots of it. Every day.

"Aircraft pilots, cabin crew or passengers are virtually unexposed to solar UV radiation because the shielding effect of the windows."

Per the article.

"Aircraft pilots, cabin crew or passengers are virtually unexposed to solar UV radiation because the shielding effect of the windows."

Per the article.

Still doesn't diminish the importance of sunscreen. :)

You'll at least have healthy-looking skin while you mutate on the inside.

And really, who doesn't want a third arm?
If my comic book knowledge is correct, Gamma Rays will turn you from this:
3088595-0473326691-tumbl.jpg

to this:
The-Hulk-in-The-Avengers-010.jpg

My wife is always nagging me about the need for sunscreen too. In all fairness to her, I did have to endure having a chunk of my arm removed. Fortunately I don't have to worry about the right arm being next to the window any longer.

Per the article.
I thought it was well established that the sunburn uv rays are blocked by the glass, but not the cancer causing uv rays. :confused:

Fighting a war against an invisible enemy while supplied with ambiguous and/or conflicting information. I just put a sun shade in the window above 18 and try not think about the radiation... Or the germs on the all the switches... Or the filth being pumped through the air ducts that haven't ever been cleaned... Or the bed sheets in the hotel... Or the seatbelts that don't work in the hotel van... Or the exhaust fumes I can smell from the airplane in front of us while waiting for takeoff...

Aircraft windshields / windows don't block UV. If they did, the FCOM II's would say so.

It's not that hard to wear sunscreen in the cockpit. Just put it on in the morning on your arms, face, and neck.

What makes you think that?

Well between the systems manual, instructors, check airmen, etc., no one has said definitively that the windscreen protects you from UV. Even the training up in Montreal.

If it does, I'd like to see it written in a paragraph somewhere...

Well between the systems manual, instructors, check airmen, etc., no one has said definitively that the windscreen protects you from UV. Even the training up in Montreal.

If it does, I'd like to see it written in a paragraph somewhere...
Contact PPG

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/aerospace/transparencies/generalaviation/Pages/GlassChallenger.aspx

Or, the more obvious, look for signs of UV damage in the cockpits. There are none. The carpets, seatbelts, seats, dash, etc. aren't faded.

Back