Pilot tells passengers "I am not qualified to land the plane

Re: Pilot tells passengers "I am not qualified to land the p

But I still felt like an instructor again bc he was all nervous in his seat during the approach.

You should have told him to relax, and that you used to flight instruct. I'm sure he would have appreciated it.

I think they look at it as only having to pull that trick out of the bag a few times a year, so not worth the added expense.

We have a Cat II tracking program at Skywest where we log all Cat II's for "reliability purposes" or something like that, but I wonder if they aren't running the numbers down there in St. George to figure if it's really worth it. For what it's worth, I've flown two "real" cat II's in the last month that saved us from diversions.

We slowed down today and expected to hold today. BC of a baby captain flying, He had over 10000hrs but we were limited to 300 and 1sm. For about 1hr our destination was ovc at 200 then went up to 400.

But I still felt like an instructor again bc he was all nervous in his seat during the approach.

Careful, you'll have a similar experience on the other side of the table at some point when you are in the left seat. Anyone who says they haven't is lying.

Careful, you'll have a similar experience on the other side of the table at some point when you are in the left seat. Anyone who says they haven't is lying.

You are so right. Especially if you ever upgrade directing into an aircraft you have never flown.

I.e upgrade into an RJ, when you were a FO in a Bro.

Actually doing a CAT2 down to mins vs. the ability to TO and be dispatched to a destination with low forecast visibility are different things.

It's really not that much more to train on, it's just a couple approaches/landings/missed approaches in the sim. Personally having the CAT2 in my back pocket is a nice thing. Just yesterday I flew a CAT1 down to mins but had we not got in my next move was to do a CAT2 in the opposite direction (they had just turned the airport around) with a small tailwind.

You are so right. Especially if you ever upgrade directing into an aircraft you have never flown.

I.e upgrade into an RJ, when you were a FO in a Bro.

Seriously, they do that? First time being a captain and it's in an unfamiliar aircraft?

Oy vey!

One of the nice things about the Q400's at Horizon, we could use the HUD to land CAT III(A) with a 50' RA and 600/400/400 RVR. (Including Single Engine CAT III(A))

After Horizon gets the EFB's installed and the FMS's all WAAS certified, they're going to have some nicely equiped airplanes!

PS, look out for the Boise State Q400 soon... :nana2:

Seriously, they do that? First time being a captain and it's in an unfamiliar aircraft?

Oy vey!

Absolutely. We had guys going from the right seat of the MD to the left seat of the 737 and 727. I even remember one guy going from 727 FE to 737 Captain. Never flew a day as an F/O. Of course, he was a former military transport A/C so it wasn't that big a deal.

Back