Pilot Jerks

JDE

When I worked the line, we had a lot of the same airplanes stop in for fuel. We always remembered the pilots who were more or less jerks. Fast forward to this past week. One of the guys I fly with has been quite a jerk to some of the ATC controllers - even at our home base:mad:. Do you guys ever remember certain tail numbers of the real a-holes? You know, the pilots who yell at you because of something THEY did wrong? (I suppose it's less likely enroute, but in a not so busy tower/tracon it's possible?)

It's possible and it happens. Don't expect any controllers to give out their opinions in N-numbers :)

The only thing we can do is follow the rules, separate aircraft & issue safety alerts... and use correct phraseology.

Then we make fun of them after we unkey the mic :laff:

I sometimes wait for the "Hey, Southernjets 123 Heavy, aren't you that guy that gave me an infraction on a website?"

:yeahthat:

I find it embarrasing when the controller next to me is obviously taking his frustrations out on the pilots. Even if the pilot makes a mistake, why berate him over the freq? I've always tried to be careful because you never know what the tape will tell. Maybe I missed something. Maybe I actually made the mistake. Truthfully, I seem to remember the pilots who are flexible and can do almost anything you ask. Can you keep it in tight/make short approach/turn inside this guy?, etc... The list of callsigns in that group would be bigger than a list of pilots that irk me. I will say I know one lady who claims to always have filed with FS yet I never get a clearance until I make her go back and call FS again on the freq, weird...:rolleyes:

When I worked the line, we had a lot of the same airplanes stop in for fuel. We always remembered the pilots who were more or less jerks. Fast forward to this past week. One of the guys I fly with has been quite a jerk to some of the ATC controllers - even at our home base:mad:. Do you guys ever remember certain tail numbers of the real a-holes? You know, the pilots who yell at you because of something THEY did wrong? (I suppose it's less likely enroute, but in a not so busy tower/tracon it's possible?)

Oh I remember:rotfl:

I guess I better go up to our tower and kiss some @$$ so they don't think our flight department is a bunch of dicks :laff:

Guess who is last in the sequence...or who gets slowed early to follow the little guy :laff:

Guess who is last in the sequence...or who gets slowed early to follow the little guy :laff:

My thoughts exactly ;). That may explain the day we were inbound in the Falcon doing 250 kias and slowed to follow an experimental on like an 8 mile final doing 70-80 kts across the ground...and we were setup for a nice left downwind...:rolleyes:

We were down in your neck of the woods last week (that didn't happen there though).

Not exactly on topic, but I still smile when I remember this scenario: My pilot buddy was working the radios out of North Las Vegas and he was green. Couldn't read back the ground controllers instructions exactly...made multiple mistakes until the guy walked him through it. The controller was professional but you could tell he was on edge. And then you could hear other controllers in the background LAUGHING! As we left my buddy said, "They LAUGHED at me!"

"Oh, yes they did", I laughed.

I don't so much remember pilots in my line of work obviously, but we airlines as a whole after a while get painted with a broad brush... it seems every couple of months another airline will be the flavour of the month...

My thoughts exactly ;). That may explain the day we were inbound in the Falcon doing 250 kias and slowed to follow an experimental on like an 8 mile final doing 70-80 kts across the ground...and we were setup for a nice left downwind...:rolleyes:

We were down in your neck of the woods last week (that didn't happen there though).

Just my personal thought....One infraction doesn't warrant a penalty because we all have those kinds of days. Repeated difficulties...especially in the course of just a couple of transmissions...are what puts a crew in the penalty box :)

Back