Pilot Boots

jrflight

I'm looking to buy some slip-on boots for work. I'm a colgan FO flying the Saab. I was looking at the Roper boots from sporty's. Anyone have a suggestion on what kind to get? Thanks

moocowtex

I have a pair of Luchese's that have felt like bedroom slippers from the first time I put them on. The drawback is they aren't cheap, and you have to take them off to get through security. Got 5 years (re-soled several times) out of a pair of Justin Ropers. But ditto on security. Rumor has it there is a shoe company named Ariat that sells security friendly ropers.

AMH

I'm looking to buy some slip-on boots for work. I'm a colgan FO flying the Saab. I was looking at the Roper boots from sporty's. Anyone have a suggestion on what kind to get? Thanks

Those are nice boots but I wouldn't buy them from sporty's. Just go down to a local boot store or a Sports authority and get the ropers by Justin. They are less than half the cost of sporty's. I have a pair and they do set the metal detector off but they're easy to slip on and off so it's a breeze.

Captain_Bob

Those are nice boots but I wouldn't buy them from sporty's. Just go down to a local boot store or a Sports authority and get the ropers by Justin. They are less than half the cost of sporty's. I have a pair and they do set the metal detector off but they're easy to slip on and off so it's a breeze.
Take them to a cobbler... yes they do still exist... and they can take out the metal shank and replace it with a thermoplastic one for probably under $10. Then, they'll go right through the detectors.

wick81

I've flown with Justin Ropers on the Saab for about three years, but I have had them resoled many times and I think its time to get a new pair. I got the leather sole on mine, I think you can get them with a rubber sole and it might last longer. I got mine at a local boot store for about 90 bucks.

JDE

I've got some Justin ropers as well, and love them. I haven't worn them in a long time since they get a little warm in the summer. Rubber soles are good - you are less likely to slip and fall on the icy ramp.

Are passengers still required to take their shoes off in security?

SuperKingAir

I'll have to go with the Arait boots for my suggestion too. We have several guys in our department that LOVE them. I can't reccomend the Justin's for longevity reasons. The Ariats will supposedly (according to one of our guys) last several years. Just remember, you'll pay for quality.

USMCmech

Those are some big ass boots. What happened to regular hush puppies ? :)
You're not from Texas are you?

I have worn boots since 8th grade. The boots in the sportys catalog are your basic roper from Justin. These will last you a couple years, and you'll have to resole them once. I would recomend buying some better quality that will last a LONG time. The Ariats will do you well, I wear a pair of Red Wings that should last a decade.

TXaviator

You're not from Texas are you?

I have worn boots since 8th grade. The boots in the sportys catalog are your basic roper from Justin. These will last you a couple years, and you'll have to resole them once. I would recomend buying some better quality that will last a LONG time. The Ariats will do you well, I wear a pair of Red Wings that should last a decade.
I also have a pair of redwings that have seen every imagineable abuse known to man (i was a fraternity pledge at UT at one point in my life...)... and they are totally indestructible.

ERfly

I had the Justins (model 3170 airport friendly) and liked them. However, I got them a size too wide and they initially caused blisters on my feet when I first got them. Then, after not wearing them for a month, they started to cause blisters again. I switched to the Ariat Heritage Roper a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. They're as comfortable as a pair of sneakers and have no break-in time. They feel great. I, too, would recommend going down to a boot store or something and have them properly fitted.