Pictures From The Ramp - Part VI

I like the cirrus' picture.

There's a Fairchild-Dornier 328JET based out of GKY, it's a very cool looking airplane. :)

I like the cirrus' picture.

There's a Fairchild-Dornier 328JET based out of GKY, it's a very cool looking airplane. :)

Why is the 328 called Fairchild, they just owned Dornier for few years, and it was never built by them, in Europe they just called it Dornier 328, other models like the 228, was never named Fairchild.....

Some of your photos could be A.net material did you try submitting them?
Meh, a.net is so anal about the most minute flaws that it's almost not even worth the effort. Takes some of the fun out of it.

Sweet shots up there. That Cirrus shot looks like something right out of a brochure.

A Gulfstream IV. I liked the way this one came out and yet it was still rejected by JetPhotos.net. I've had worse accepted...

Horizon doesn't look level? Also it seems a little soft but that could just be me. How is Jetphotos.net these days? I went there because a.net was too damned picky. Excellent photos!

Horizon doesn't look level? Also it seems a little soft but that could just be me. How is Jetphotos.net these days? I went there because a.net was too damned picky. Excellent photos!
I think that was one of the reasons, but I'm pretty sure the lights on the horizon looked level to me when I turned the grid on in my photo editor (though it is hard to tell when the grid lines are black and it's a dark photo). Our ramp is uneven and slopes in certain areas, which I think can tend to make photos not look level. I forget what the other reason was, but the photo I've got in the queue now (taken with the new camera) makes most of my previous night shots look terrible, at least as far as noise and sharpness go.

JetPhotos.Net is pretty good, I've got 57 up there and I think most of what I've submitted has been accepted... if I know something won't make it I usually don't bother, but I won't lose sleep over it either... I mean, I can still put them on flickr, my web site, here, etc. Ironically Airliners.net is still my first choice for looking up photos... the pop-ups on JetPhotos get pretty annoying.

This reminds me, I have a quick question for the pros: What affects the size of the "star effect" on bright lights in night photography? Is it aperture size? Shutter speed? A combination of the two? Or something else?

I'm not a pro and it has been many years since I had a SLR Minolta. But I had a filter that went over the lens that caused the star effect. I suppose the aperture, etc could affect it. Mine was a product of the filter and always came out the same no matter setting I used.

Back