Pick Your Poison!

Burrito

You ARE Freaking out. Man.
Line ops has a tendency to be all-around, and the job duties section of the application sometimes requires an extra page... That being said, what's your favorite part of the job on the ramp? From fueling to bin bitch, to GSE fueling or de-icing, what do you like the most? I've been at MHT for three years now and seen a fair amount of operations, but when push comes to shove, put me in one of our open-bucket de-icers and let me go to town.

Leaving for the day!

In seriousness, when leaving and thinking about how you handled the day and how well I did or did not do in certain situations gives it a bigger perspective that allows me to learn and keep it fun.

Hard to say which actual job I enjoy the most since it all seems to be a level of monotony any more, but the overall running of a busy ramp is probably my favorite thing to do.

I worked upstairs for the last 7 months, but regardless my two favorite parts about working were IROPS with my team (especially when everyone came together), and dinner time when we would all put in for tons of wings and pig out. Nothing makes success better then a team that works together exceptionally well.

I was airline, but honestly... bin beyotch. Free workout and you didn't have to deal with pax/bs out on the ramp or in the jetway, and you stayed dry.

Second was pushback. I always liked getting a compliment from the captain on how smooth a push was, and I never could stand the guys that'd just stomp on the gas and brakes and whip the plane around like morons.

Here in SF it can get quite cold in the wind, so I prefer the heat. The bins are nice when it's raining or cold out, and like JordanD said, it's a nice workout. I also feel more valued because most people don't want to get in the bin.

Marshalling out, and getting bathed in the sweet smell of jet exhaust as you hustle to pickup the chocks to clear that spot for the next one. Mission Accomplished...

The place I worked included all extra services in the ramp fees or fuel price so we never had to split hairs over what we would or wouldn't do for someone, we were expected to get them whatever they needed and as a result the job was fun and the customers were happy. Once a citation x called in and among their other requests for the quick turn they wondered if we might go downtown and pick them up some ravioli from Original Joe's for the crew. I had 3 orders waiting for them when they rolled in. We got a 100$ tip.

By far my favorite part was things like that. Specifically making crews happy. Passengers are generally pretty easy to please, have their car waiting, be polite, etc. But if you can make a crew's day awesome that's really something.

I like to say that line was the most fun and rewarding job I ever had in aviation, its too bad it doesn't pay a lot. I loved getting home and taking a hot shower after running my ass off all day in the rain or the great feeling when you're busy and moving airplanes around like crazy to make sure your limited ramp space works for everyone. Even the slow days, or the days we washed the fuel trucks were pretty cool in their own way.

I could do without lav service I guess ;)

The place I worked included all extra services in the ramp fees or fuel price so we never had to split hairs over what we would or wouldn't do for someone, we were expected to get them whatever they needed and as a result the job was fun and the customers were happy. Once a citation x called in and among their other requests for the quick turn they wondered if we might go downtown and pick them up some ravioli from Original Joe's for the crew. I had 3 orders waiting for them when they rolled in. We got a 100$ tip.

By far my favorite part was things like that. Specifically making crews happy. Passengers are generally pretty easy to please, have their car waiting, be polite, etc. But if you can make a crew's day awesome that's really something.

I like to say that line was the most fun and rewarding job I ever had in aviation, its too bad it doesn't pay a lot. I loved getting home and taking a hot shower after running my ass off all day in the rain or the great feeling when you're busy and moving airplanes around like crazy to make sure your limited ramp space works for everyone. Even the slow days, or the days we washed the fuel trucks were pretty cool in their own way.

I could do without lav service I guess ;)

You sum up my line service career perfectly, especially at the last place I worked, Banyan Air Service at FXE. It was awesome to work at a place that had such determination to keep the customers happy. If they had airplanes I'd still be working for them.

I loved the crazy days in feet of snow. Rushing to get everything done and then deicing. Especially great when a crew would call from their destination to say thank you for the work we did.

I really miss working the ramp, it was probably the best job someone could have in their teenage years/early 20s. Running around doing a variety of things throughout the day made the shift go by so fast, especially when you're working with a good crew and you all get along. Slow days meant you could work on your car in the hangar, learn how to fix stuff around the FBO, do homework, and BS over at the flight school. We remodeled bathrooms, built crew sleep pods, and did a lot of extra building maintenance, so I learned a lot of different home improvement skills while on the clock (not having to pay for materials when you screw up is great). Spent many holidays bringing potluck dishes in to work/barbecuing and feeding crews that had to be away from their families was one of my favorite things.

Then we got bought out :(

Snow was awesome...getting the duties of plowing instead of chipping ice on the line was much better. I wasn't crazy about the bin tbh..I liked scanning and loading up on the belt loader and I loved going to baggage claim trying to improve my numbers on scanning.

My best performance was 105 bags alone in 3 minutes, I think. I wasn't at a bug hub though so I'm sure they're much faster....or slower.

I surprisingly enjoyed gate and baggage claims the most. I loved being sort of an investigator on where bags are and getting them here ASAP. Going through a long list of contacting people for certain international bags that weren't claimed in customs, etc. Pushback was fun too.

Only time I enjoyed deicing was the 767 diversion we got. Other than that...open bucket in -10/-20 temps with windchill at -30+ was not fun. The entire job was fun for me...wish I still did it as a CFI now. Started right when I got to college and never looked back. I miss the family atmosphere I had with friends and of course, the job alone. It really is something different...very underrated IMO.

Bin for sure my favorite. In less than 3 months my back went from ok to absolutely chiseled... well at least compared to what it was before, not bodybuilder chiseled. I enjoyed offloading bags so fast my co-workers would have to work hard or even stop the belt because I was going too fast. It's an honor to me to be able to be too quick for 2-3 people to keep up lol.

Back