Pick a Roundtable Session

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
We have such a large group of attendees that want to participate in the roundtable sessions that we are splitting them into two groups. Both sessions are on Monday afternoon.

We can allow 15 per group so please pick appropriately.

both sessions will be based on the attendees background and the following information

Instead, let's plan to have three roundtable discussions on various topics. We'd need to evaluate who is coming and what their background is to really pick some great, valuable topics to discuss. Here are a few ideas.
Ensuring success through attitude as a low-time new-hire
Mentorship for career success
A plan of attack for success in airline ground school
Career success through strong interpersonal relationships
Fighting the natural tendency to drift from standard operating procedures
Steps to be successful in the airline interview process
A paradigm shift from "time building jobs" to "career building jobs"
Managing schedule, health, family, and career: The well-rounded professional
Setting the tone: Leadership as a Captain and the new customer-service paradigm
Those are just a few off the top of my head. What do you guys think would be some good discussions? I'm thinking we should pick topics that are motivational and inspiring, so the NJC participants feel a refreshed sense of personal and professional pride, regardless of if they are just starting Private Pilot training or are a Regional Airline pilot. After all, the whole purpose of JetCareers has been to inspire, motivate, mentor, and network. There are tons of interview-prep courses and resume-building services out there. Let's set this apart... move towards something completely different. Rather than offering an immediate desired result (a job), instead offer motivation for long-lasting career success.

Maybe, if these are successful, we can offer various roundtable discussions over a larger period of time during the NJC event. Maybe like eight to ten different discussions in two locations (like adjacent conference rooms in a hotel) scheduled throughout a whole day. Then the main event could be upstairs in a suite. I'm not sure how much conference room rentals costs for an 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM schedule, but I'm sure it is less than that sweet-ass place we had last year. We'd just reserve the sweet-ass place for the party.

The above was a quote from Fly Chicaga in another thread I was in a hurry and did not do my references APA (or any other) style

Bumblebee (Dale) sent out PM's to those already on the list to participate asking for their background information. If you know you're on the list & didn't receive his PM or are now putting yourself on the list, make sure you PM Bumblebee with the following info:

1. Times TT/ME/Inst.
2. Training plans
3. Background
4. Career goals (short and long range)
5. Current job
6. Age
7. Family obligations

Please forward any questions you may want answered in the Roundtable, and we will be glad to include them in the discussion.

I will ask again before picking.
Is there a difference between the two session?
Might we fit better in one than the other?
Or just pick by what time is best for you?

Just pick the time that works best for you. While we are going to start out using the outline that is listed above, with just 15 people we will be able to cover what ever is of interest for the people in the room.

Just come with lots of questions.:)

So, is there gonna be a set group of airline guys for both roundtables for people to ask question or how are we gonna work that?

If nothing else we need to make sure there's a decent ratio of airline/hopefuls at the sessions.

I'm actually down to stay the whole time if we need airline reps at both.

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw the other thread, and I'll be at both since I'm officially down as a presenter. :)

I have to run and catch a flight, but let me put this out there.

I think we should hold off on picking a session. Saturday and Sunday before the event we can get the scoop, see how big the room will be, and if it is to small, we can try to find a room/restaurant that would be willing to handle us.

If people will really need to pick a session, we can have sign up sheets during the main event.

If at all possible, I would prefer to go to both. As it is a roundtable discussion, I bet things can be learned from both. I won't participate in one, just listen. If that is not possible due to room size constraints, I will take whichever session you need people for. Either time does not matter so just place me.

If at all possible, I would prefer to go to both. As it is a roundtable discussion, I bet things can be learned from both. I won't participate in one, just listen. If that is not possible due to room size constraints, I will take whichever session you need people for. Either time does not matter so just place me.

What he said.

-Christine

:yeahthat: Only if there is room in the second one. AND if every one else has had the chance to attend.

I have to run and catch a flight, but let me put this out there.

I think we should hold off on picking a session. Saturday and Sunday before the event we can get the scoop, see how big the room will be, and if it is to small, we can try to find a room/restaurant that would be willing to handle us.

If people will really need to pick a session, we can have sign up sheets during the main event.
I'd much rather there be a time/place set up in advance, it makes it easier in the long run. My fear is that you'll end up losing folks who want to join in the discussions by not having a place set in stone.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find a last minute restaurant that can handle 30 people like that without paying buku bucks.

It might be best to just go ahead and see if you cant' reserve that meeting room in the Monte Carlo, hopefully it doesn't cost extra for tables/chairs????

Oh yeah, just to confirm, I am going to contact Allegiant & have them release the conference room that they were holding for us, or should I hold onto it?

Whew! Just got back and boy am I playing catchup. Looks like meeting space is extremely hard to find on monday as it's become convention city. Were there any rejections to using Allegiant or is the offer still open for that meeting space?

Whew! Just got back and boy am I playing catchup. Looks like meeting space is extremely hard to find on monday as it's become convention city. Were there any rejections to using Allegiant or is the offer still open for that meeting space?

I am of the opinion we should try to find the largest place availabe to accomodate the numbers we have. If we split the sessions, people may miss good information for no other reason than it got covered/ didn't get covered in one session and not the other.....imo, that would be unfortunate.

Also, I noticed I would be included in the 'presenter' portion. That's great, but what am I talking about or is it just a 'perspective' and answer questions as they are brought up.

So, guess my real question is, is there something I should be working on or is this an off-the-cuff kinda thing???? Doug? Bumblebee? Chicaga? Bueller? :confused:

My thoughts on this are that we want the sessions small to make the conversation more manageable. Like a dinner party conversation, yet directed. The reason you're on the list Cruise, is that you're an airline type.

I thought initially that it may be best (if we do split the sessions) to deal with the pre-private pilot to stepping stone jobs such as the regional airline/corporate/cargo path, and the second could focus on how to go from that stepping stone job to the majors.

I don't think of this as a seminar so much as a conversation. I believe that If we have 30 people in a room, then it can not be a conversation any more, and then it becomes more like a class/seminar.

added note: I am hoping that someone from a major airline will talk to us regional guys about the differences between the two, and we don't have anyone confirmed for that yet.

Oh, ok, I see what you're saying....a conversation vs. a lecture....sounds good. Again, I'm happy to be on the list and contribute as much as possible. I was just curious to know if I was to be preparing stuff or, like you just stated, shoot from the hip and answer questions/ provide perspectives on subjects that are brought up.

Hey, this is the first go-round for the 'roundtable' stuff.....we'll see how it goes this year and keep the good stuff and improve the not-as-good stuff for next year!

I'll spew forth my vast wisdom on the noobish pre-pro pilots who are in attendance.......:sarcasm:

j/k Hehe, I'm happy to help! :)

I agree with the smaller sessions. 30 people at one session, you're gonna blow 15 minutes just on introductions alone. Plus, with a smaller group size, more people get to ask more questions. With a large group size, we'd probably wind up with each person getting one question answered or running out of time before everyone got a chance to talk.

I'll tell you right now: What you get out of this roundtable is based on what you bring. What should you bring? Questions. I don't want to stand up and give a lecture. I'm sure the others conducting the roundtables don't want to do that either. The difference between each session will only depend on the questions asked... not the answers...

I'm not sure if I got dropped out of the email chain or not, but I'm still game for helping to lead a discussion if you guys need.

I'll tell you right now: What you get out of this roundtable is based on what you bring. What should you bring? Questions. I don't want to stand up and give a lecture. I'm sure the others conducting the roundtables don't want to do that either. The difference between each session will only depend on the questions asked... not the answers...

I'm going to have Chicaga's baby. But I'm a guy.

I'm still looking for substantial meeting space which is difficult to find this late in the game, however, the offer is still open at Allegiant. We had our last round table discussion at Alteon in LGB which worked like gangbusters and I'm still heavily indebted to MPengy for his undying devotion.

I should have an answer by the end of business (west coast) on where it's going to go down at.

Stay tuned and throw me your ideas.

only 14 out of the 25 who want to attend the roundtable sessions have picked the session they want to go to.

The rest of you need to get on the ball and pick which time you want to attend.

We can't do just one session... it's too late in the game to find adequate space to hold everyone. :)

Back