Photos from space auction

Oxman

Thought this was interesting and a great chance to own history. Christies Auction House is auctioning original photos from space.

Tracing the artistic heritage of the Apollo Missions and Golden Age of space exploration, the Victor Martin-Malburet collection comprises over 2,400 photographs arranged chronologically across 700 lots. Through their cameras the astronauts, turned artists, were able to convey to humanity the beauty and profundity of their experiences, forever changing the way we see our place in the Universe.

Many of the montaged panoramas give us a sense of what it felt to stand on another planetary body and admire the stark lonely beauty of the view, other photographs are unreleased rarities that may only be known in a handful of extant prints. Meticulous research including radio snippets from the missions and contemporary press coverage deepens the story of the Golden Age of space exploration, as told by both the astronauts and billions of observers on Earth. The accompanying pdf catalogue establishes the connection between the photographs and mission transcripts.

Highlights from the collection were exhibited in 2019 at: the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen; Grand Palais, Paris; and Kunsthaus, Zurich. For Victor the juxtaposition of these photographs alongside masterpieces from antiquity through to Rothko was the zenith of his vision, placing them within the grand narrative of human ingenuity and creativity. He is delighted to offer them at auction for others to now add to their collections.

Whoa, fake pictures from “space”

Ok really, though, that’s pretty damn cool. Imma save my money and spend it on stuff to take my own space pictures.

Some very cool stuff! If you think that some of those photos are insanely expensive, then you should check out the prices on some of Alan Bean's paintings. I especially like the one of Jack Schmitt... a bargain at $368,000. Bean was quite an accomplished painter.

My lot arrived today. Pretty impressed with the packaging.

Not going to say what it cost, but can't wait to throw it in the office upstairs.

Back