PEPC Medical

LinzoATC

So for all of you who have gone through the PEPC or know someone who has, I was wanting to know more about the PEPC medical.

I am particularly curious about the vision portion. It seems like I read on here somewhere that if you have contacts then you have to wear your glasses instead??

Anyway, any information would be much appreciated.

So for all of you who have gone through the PEPC or know someone who has, I was wanting to know more about the PEPC medical.

I am particularly curious about the vision portion. It seems like I read on here somewhere that if you have contacts then you have to wear your glasses instead??

Anyway, any information would be much appreciated.

This is what they sent to me in an email concerning the PEPC, hope it helps......

You have been scheduled to interview at the New York PEPC on 7/9/2008. Your start time is 8:00:00 AM. Here are a few things to remember:

1. Your start time is 8:00:00 AM
2. Park in the assigned area
3. Have a government issued photo ID or you will not be allowed access into the building
4. Have all required documents completely filled out
5. Do not wear lotions, perfume or cologne
6. If you wear contact lenses please wear glasses or bring your contact solution & case
7. Bring a snack or lunch if needed
8. Be prepared for a full day

at the LA pepc i took the vision portion of the test with my contacts in, then they gave me the option to take the test again without my contacts...(being around -4 in each eye i told them not to waste their time giving me the test without my contacts)

at the LA pepc i took the vision portion of the test with my contacts in, then they gave me the option to take the test again without my contacts...(being around -4 in each eye i told them not to waste their time giving me the test without my contacts)

Thats about where my vision is at too. Thanks for the tip. I was worried that they were going to make me wear my glasses or something, which
are really out of date.

Is the vision test a chart or a machine?

When I took the medical exam in December here in Florida, it was both a machine and chart. The machine was very similar to the one they use at DMV's to check your eyes. They also tested your eyes with different patters of numbers made up of different colors to check for color blindness and stuff. It was a pretty basic exam.

What was the hearing test like? That is the most concerning part for me. I don't believe I have that much hearing loss, but I've never had it measured exactly so who knows? Are there minimum requirements even a big concern for anyone else? I'm just not very knowledgeable of decibal loss for the human ear and how much hearing loss that actually equates to.

I haven't taken the PEPC medical exam yet, but I pretty sure it's the same exam pilot's take to get a first class medical exam. The FAA is pretty standardized in how they do things. In FAR/AIM under Part 67.101 First-Class Airman Medical Certificate. This what you will be tested on.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...gn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5.2&idno=14

considering that to be an ATC you have to take a second class medical, i dont think it is like the first class exam that pilots have to take

What was the hearing test like? That is the most concerning part for me. I don't believe I have that much hearing loss, but I've never had it measured exactly so who knows? Are there minimum requirements even a big concern for anyone else? I'm just not very knowledgeable of decibal loss for the human ear and how much hearing loss that actually equates to.
if you didnt hear what i just said then you are below the minimums

I've read conflicting limits on the hearing. I am definitely most concerned about the hearing test. I was having weird pressure changes with my ears and went to an otomologist. They gave me the hearing test and determined I have hearing loss of 25db in my left ear at 2000hz.

I feel I can hear just fine, but I've read that any loss over 25db up to 2000hz will fail you. It looks like I'm right on the line.

According to http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.5.2&idno=14 anything over 30db is what I should be worried about.

Does anybody know for sure?

Quick question for All. I have a heart murmur (bicuspid valve) that will most likely require a medical waiver. I posted the quest to the Doc on "Ask a Flight Surgeon" and he said to bring current medical records with me. The most current I have are 3 years old and I am trying to get a referral to see a heart person before the memphis PEPC .

So does anyone have experience with this situation or know what timeframe I will be looking at if cant get a heart appt before the 23-24th. Thanks

Back