PEPC Email for the wrong place...

propcircles

Sorry to start a new thread, but my head is spinning trying to sort through the others. What I'd like to know is who else received an offer to a location they DID NOT put on their geo-prefs?

Example; I put ID and CO and received an email for anchorage ARTCC. All I know is one other person on here got an offer for Guam. If you are also a member of the "what-the-heck" club, please post your story here.

Basically I'm curious to find out if perhaps there was a mistake with my app, or if they took the "throughout the nation" really seriously...

That is very strange...

I'm curious if they even followed the email geog preferences or if they went with current residence (or in your case, random selection).

I was picked for CA, but I'm still holding my breath on the actual facility location. How do I know they actually followed the county preferences I requested?

That is very strange...

I'm curious if they even followed the email geog preferences or if they went with current residence (or in your case, random selection).

I was picked for CA, but I'm still holding my breath on the actual facility location. How do I know they actually followed the county preferences I requested?
Probably won't find out until your interview.

Example; I put ID and CO and received an email for anchorage ARTCC. All I know is one other person on here got an offer for Guam.
Just a shot in the dark here, but what were your facility type selections? If you put ARTCC only, then that would ONLY leave ZDV for your potential location. If they couldn't get you in there, they probably figured ZAN was as close as they could get you. Climate-wise, Denver and Anchorage seem like pretty similar places and are both Pacific NW.

Again, for the guy who got Guam CERAP - he ONLY chose florida. The climates again are very similar. My guess is this was not a mistake. They put you in a location they thought was similar to what you wanted.

Sorry to start a new thread, but my head is spinning trying to sort through the others. What I'd like to know is who else received an offer to a location they DID NOT put on their geo-prefs?

Example; I put ID and CO and received an email for anchorage ARTCC. All I know is one other person on here got an offer for Guam. If you are also a member of the "what-the-heck" club, please post your story here.

Basically I'm curious to find out if perhaps there was a mistake with my app, or if they took the "throughout the nation" really seriously...
I wouldn't mind getting sent to Alaska, they pay you to live there.

Just a shot in the dark here, but what were your facility type selections?
Both.

They put you in a location they thought was similar to what you wanted.
Interesting theory, but then why only 2 states? Why not go with 10 states like in ASAP, or a "region" like they did a few yrs ago? Guess we can only speculate, but then we're assuming they actually put considerable thought into each selection, in which case you'd think they'd have noticed that Pensacola is 5000 miles from Anchorage, and even further from Guam! (I also listed AZ in the comments... it was worth a shot)

I wouldn't mind getting sent to Alaska, they pay you to live there.
Yeah that's a cool perk, although it hardly makes up for the considerably expensive housing. If I was a single guy, this is a no-brainer, but being married complicates things greatly... not to mention taking her even further away from her family, etc...

Anything outside of the continental U.S. does not get locality pay. Instead they get COLA (Cost of Living Allowance). I don't know the amounts, but I believe it works on a fixed index, instead of a percentage.
Yeah I was researching that yesterday... for ANC it used to be 25% but it's supposed to drop one percent per year until 13%. It was a dated article, so if it's still accurate, it's probably around 20-22% now. It's similar to locality pay, but actually worse in the long run from my understanding.

This is a really sweet website also you guys might like --- http://php.app.com/fed_employees/search.php you can look up salaries of controllers or any other fed employees. the lowest ANC controllers are only at 32K. Pretty pitiful when the average house is like 300K or something like that.

I have still not ruled it out, but this sure makes the decision more difficult.

Also, can you direct me to the post about the Guam guy again? I cant seem to find his information. Did anyone else not get what they put down?

And while i'm asking questions, I cant remember if the FAA helps you with moving costs to your facility? a move that far ain't cheap

I think the guy that is getting sent to Guam is on the friday email forum in the beginning but I am not sure, I did see that one though. I think nor receiving the email is better than getting that.

Could this Guam/Alaska placement possibly be due to the errors with the geographic preferences site? I know mine kept changing my selection from Illinois to Florida.
Just a thought...

hey guys, Im the "Guam Guy' you've all been looking for. Just happened to come across this thread today.

hey guys, Im the "Guam Guy' you've all been looking for. Just happened to come across this thread today.

ROGER001_LG1.jpg

Just wanted to find out more about your geo-pref's, background, etc...etc... so perhaps we can figure out some common denominators to our selections, or if it could just be a mistake. I called and emailed friday but no responses as of yet.

I would LOVE to visit alaska, but really dont want to live there. BTW I have a good friend that grew up in Guam, and he really liked it.

LOL I like that poster. Hillarious. But yeah man, I initially chose Central, FL (MCO, ORL, VRB, SFB,). And that's all . I did not make a 2nd choice mainly because I own a house here in orlando area and as we all know it's not a time I would be able to sell. I also just moved here a year ago and my fiance has a great job here which she really loves and Id hate to take that away from her. So after all of this mumble jumble they give me freakin guam man. Im even a federal employee, CFI, with 8 years of aviation exp.

Just like you said, I would LOVE to move to Guam, but man it's far away and unless they paid me alot to move... I dont know how i could do it. Then getting my dog to guam would be another story.

So far I emailed back to that address i got the offer from, and asked why I would get guam if i put in for fl, and seeing if i can figure out a way to switch. I will defeinitly let you know what happens. Do the same with me! if you have any more Q's let me know.

LOL I like that poster. Hillarious. But yeah man, I initially chose Central, FL (MCO, ORL, VRB, SFB,). And that's all . I did not make a 2nd choice mainly because I own a house here in orlando area and as we all know it's not a time I would be able to sell. I also just moved here a year ago and my fiance has a great job here which she really loves and Id hate to take that away from her. So after all of this mumble jumble they give me freakin guam man. Im even a federal employee, CFI, with 8 years of aviation exp.

Just like you said, I would LOVE to move to Guam, but man it's far away and unless they paid me alot to move... I dont know how i could do it. Then getting my dog to guam would be another story.

So far I emailed back to that address i got the offer from, and asked why I would get guam if i put in for fl, and seeing if i can figure out a way to switch. I will defeinitly let you know what happens. Do the same with me! if you have any more Q's let me know.

Yeah plz msg me if you hear anything. I'll try and call again today but still havent talked to a real person yet. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I'm still wondering if FAA helps with moving expenses? I think I remember the answer being "NO" but moving to Guam or AK would be easily $5000 or more.

exaclty, and now im reading that my pets would have to be quarantined for 120 days! since guam is a rabies free zone. that would also cost a ton of money. the move alone though would be tons. Ive emailed and been trying to call this morning but the line has been busy.

Well you know the #1 factor in the FAA's decision was their own needs. I guess someone had to go to Guam, AK, etc. Wonder if anyone selected them as their preference?

Back