PDT Emergency In PHL This Morning

Great job !

During my IOE we had a hydraulic system three failure and had to do an emergency extension of the gear. Longest minute of my life waiting for three green down indications...

Great Job for all crew involved. :rawk:

Thanks for making us look good. :D

<-- That is Dash 8-300. Just wondering what cause nose gear would not come down. Where is my system manual? :p

I've always wondered how well the emergency gear extension would work on the Dash. Apparently not very well! But great job guys.

Great job to the crew

I had to do the emergency gear extension a few weeks ago.

At our company we are required to drop the nose doors and gear doors for the preflight inspection for the first flight of the day. In my opinion it creates wear and tear on the cables that MIGHT not work when crap hits the fan. Are you guys required to do it?

The nose gear took about ten seconds to get the green gear light on. Also do you guys used recapped tires when they need to be replaced or do you use new ones? My issue stemmed from a bad landing gear selector valve switch.

At Mesa we don't open the nose gear door for preflight because of the same opinion. We drop the main gear doors though. Can't inspect the hydraulic gauges or see if gear pins are installed without the main gear doors being open.

Piedmont plane lands without nose gear.

Plane slides down Philly runway minus front wheels

<ABBR class=timedate title=2008-11-16T13:09:04-0800>Sun Nov 16, 4:09 pm ET</ABBR>
<!-- end .byline -->PHILADELPHIA – A US Airways Express airliner slid down a runway Sunday during an emergency landing without its nose landing gear. No injuries were reported.
The Philadelphia-bound deHavilland Dash-8 turboprop, operated by Piedmont Airlines, took off from Allentown at about 8:20 a.m. with 35 passengers and three crew members, according to officials of the airline and Philadelphia International Airport.
Before the scheduled landing at Philadelphia, the crew got an indication that the landing gear was not down and did a flyover to confirm that the nose wheels had not deployed, airport spokeswoman Victoria Lupica said.
Fire crews spread foam on the runway as a precaution before the landing at about 9:20 a.m.
The plane skidded down the runway on its nose, but there was no smoke or fire, Lupica said. Passengers were taken to the terminal by bus.
The cause was being investigated, said US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant. The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board also were investigating, Lupica said.
The airport had to be closed for about 25 minutes, Lupica said.
It reported some flights delayed more than two hours around midday while the plane remained on one of the four runways. That runway reopened in the early afternoon, and most flights were running on time, Lupica said.

Great job to the crew

I had to do the emergency gear extension a few weeks ago.

At our company we are required to drop the nose doors and gear doors for the preflight inspection for the first flight of the day. In my opinion it creates wear and tear on the cables that MIGHT not work when crap hits the fan. Are you guys required to do it?

The nose gear took about ten seconds to get the green gear light on. Also do you guys used recapped tires when they need to be replaced or do you use new ones? My issue stemmed from a bad landing gear selector valve switch.

Yup, first flight of the day we have to drop all door.

Great to hear everyone is ok...SUCKS we are down a 300 now for a few weeks. Maybe Tempe took notice and we'll get new planes! (joking)

Back