Passed my MEI add on!

grchase90

That's assistant to the Chief!
Did my MeI add on today with a DPE in southwest MI and here's the writeup.
Started off the oral around 8:00. We started off with all the good stuff personal documentation, airplane logbooks, and endorsements. Then we talked about adding on a rating. The DPE asked me to explain to him how I knew what was required for the add on rating, so we went thought the pts and he had me show him the additional rating table and tell him what we had to cover. The first technical subject area we covered was systems. We have a 2006 'nole at my flight school and he had me explain the systems as if I was talking to a student transitioning to the Seminole from an arrow. After explaining the systems to the DPE, I had to run to class for an hour and a half before resuming the check ride. So after sleeping through class, and getting psyched back up for the second part of the chck ride we got back to business. The DPE had me explain what a critical engine is on a twin, then he also had me explain Vmc. As always no conversation about Vmc is complete until you fully discuss all the variables of what makes it higher or lower and all that fun stuff, and after 30 minutes of Vmc talk we were finally ready to go fly. I felt pretty relaxed on the flying portion (which is a first for me on a check ride). For the check ride the DPE said that since we talke about the expectations of the pts before hand I knew exactly what we had to cover. So he told me to teach him as a student and cover what we had to and he would remind me if I needed to cover something else. So we started off with a short field takeoff, and headed for the practice area. In the practice area we did some steep turns, then followed those up with some stalls power on and off and some slow flight action. Next we did a Vmc demonstration, and then he had me do both a level flight and a descending drag demo. On completion of the drag demos ( which was the maneuver I felt the least comfortable with), we went over some emergency procedures and shut down in engine in flight and did an air start. By this point I was feeling pretty beat but I knew completion was close at hand! We ended up the flight with me performing a simulated engine out landing and then him performing one with me critiquing. This DPE has a habit of not saying you passed until you got a thorough debriefing on the ground. So I knew I wouldnt be finding out if I passed til the last minute, but I felt like I had performed pretty well. I guess the DPE purposefully waits til the end to tell the result, cause after he told me I passed I just smiled and nodded for the rest of the conversation.
So the oral was total 2.5 hrs
And the flying was about 1 hr
Next stop CfII aiming to finish before the end of April!

Congrats to everyone. It is a great feeling getting one step closer to having all of your ratings done (ATP and Types not included of course)!

Back