Part 91 minimums?

MeeNotYou

I will be attending ATP within the next couple months and will invest time as a CFI cutting my teeth to learn more about the profession and log hours. Like most, if not all, new pilots, I am researching job/career prospects. I know, I know...Man Plans, God Laughs. I will certainly remain flexible, but still, it doesn't hurt to research and learn.

I know the ATP mins, and have found the part 135 mins, but cannot find part 91 mins. Anyone able to help break it down for me? Furthermore, if I understand correctly, Insurance company min reqs are more of a limiting factor for companies hiring than the FAA reqs. What are the avg insurance company mins?

Thx~

Except for fractional aircraft under Part 91, Subpart K, I am not aware offhand of any FAA requirements, other than having a commercial pilot certificate with the appropriate category, class and type limitations, a second class medical, and meeting the applicable Part 61 currency requirements, for operating as paid PIC in a Part 91 operation.

And, yeah, like any other operation you nee to meet insurance requirements.

Thx for the replies. I have read thru the Part 91 and Part 61 literature. Most of my uncertainty pertains to jets and part 91 ops, especially in regards to type ratings (the requirement for type ratings or the difference between SIC and PIC type ratings).

That all said, it is the insurance requirements that I haven't found much on. People keep referencing the prohibitive insurance reqs for hiring new pilots, but I cannot find what these insurance regs (avg) are. Was hoping someone could shed some light.

I apologize for my ignorance. Regards~

Thx for the replies. I have read thru the Part 91 and Part 61 literature. Most of my uncertainty pertains to jets and part 91 ops, especially in regards to type ratings (the requirement for type ratings or the difference between SIC and PIC type ratings).

That all said, it is the insurance requirements that I haven't found much on. People keep referencing the prohibitive insurance reqs for hiring new pilots, but I cannot find what these insurance regs (avg) are. Was hoping someone could shed some light.

I apologize for my ignorance. Regards~

It depends on how much you want to pay for insurance, its just like anything else in life you want to insure. Money talks. They aren't posted anywhere, you would literally just have to call the insurance company up and they would get you a quote. Tons of variables. Companies in good standing generally can get away with lower time pilots.

What are your questions about pic/sic?

Noted on the insurance.

As for p91 jet/complex type ratings, if I have interpreted the literature correctly, PIC requires type rating whereas SIC requires type rating or training in a/c fam, emergency procedures, recovery, and a number of landings and take-offs performed in the sim. This accurate?

Noted on the insurance.

As for p91 jet/complex type ratings, if I have interpreted the literature correctly, PIC requires type rating whereas SIC requires type rating or training in a/c fam, emergency procedures, recovery, and a number of landings and take-offs performed in the sim. This accurate?

If you are going out of country, SIC type required. Get the above mention training, logbook endorsement or letter from chief pilot etc., fill out IACRA and go see friendly FSDO for SIC type.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec5

14 CFR Part 61.55 also

That all said, it is the insurance requirements that I haven't found much on. People keep referencing the prohibitive insurance reqs for hiring new pilots, but I cannot find what these insurance regs (avg) are.

There are no "insurance regs" that set rates and underwriting considerations. There are "insurance companies" that set rates and requirements based on operating history, aircraft history, pilot qualifications. Your best source is either a Part 91F or K operator or an insurance broker.

I will be attending ATP within the next couple months and will invest time as a CFI cutting my teeth to learn more about the profession and log hours. Like most, if not all, new pilots, I am researching job/career prospects. I know, I know...Man Plans, God Laughs. I will certainly remain flexible, but still, it doesn't hurt to research and learn.

I know the ATP mins, and have found the part 135 mins, but cannot find part 91 mins. Anyone able to help break it down for me? Furthermore, if I understand correctly, Insurance company min reqs are more of a limiting factor for companies hiring than the FAA reqs. What are the avg insurance company mins?

Thx~

If you are thinking in terms of hiring just rule out 91 for a while. Unless you have an "in" at a good 91 operator your chances of being hired low time are next to nil.

@BEEF SUPREME I plan on cutting my teeth as a CFI and building some decent hours that way - more than willing to CFI to 12k-15k TT. I figure it is a great way to learn more about the profession and better myself, as well as a decent way to build hours and earn my way into something better. That said, of course the questions and early research are geared toward knowing at what point I can start looking at other options. It is good to know what options are available and what milestones are required for that 'next step'. Career progression requires that shiny jet time, and Part 91 is just one of the many ways to get it. I have no issue working hard and earning my way; don't expect anything to be given to me. I do however hope to meet some great people along the way, as we all know networking is everything.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and help educate someone just getting into the profession.

Regards to all, and happy and safe flying~

I'd say you are better off avoiding 91 altogether and trying to get on with a 121 ASAP. Don't get into a 91 situation where you shouldn't be logging time. IE: King Air FO etc. ( Single Pilot FO)

Or get violated over some silly stuff.

Back