Part 135/91 to 121

Kankles32

Dispatcher
What does everyone think the chances are of someone who has years of 135 experience getting hired by a 121 carrier? Obviously, I'm asking for myself, which I've had my DX License for 4 years now and a little over 5 years Aviation experience.

What type of 121 carrier? I did 2 years at 135/91 and moved to one of the 121 ACMI carriers without any problems. Now at a major thats probably a very different story. I wouldn't say its impossible but with the amount of people applying to majors from regional or other 121 carriers I'd imagine you have to have something pretty special that puts you above everyone else.

I think your 135/91 experience might translate better to a 121 charter shop, where you can soak up some of that sweet, sweet international/ETOPS experience which majors like to see. Making the jump from corporate to a major isn't unheard of, but it's pretty rare. You'll need to make a stop somewhere to get some 121 experience to have the best chance.

What does everyone think the chances are of someone who has years of 135 experience getting hired by a 121 carrier? Obviously, I'm asking for myself, which I've had my DX License for 4 years now and a little over 5 years Aviation experience.
It depends on the carrier. If you bring a year of 91/135 experience to a regional airline recruiter, i think your chances of getting an interview are pretty good. If you bring it to a mainline carrier, not so much. If a major carrier is your goal, you will likely at some point have to have 121 experience.

It definitely won’t hurt your chances. I just started working for a 121 regional airline after a year of 135 charters and the experience was a plus. Not sure about the majors though.

Just realized this was dispatch so disregard.

Original replay below.

I know plenty of folks that were 91k/135 for a solid decade and then moved to a major.

Honestly don’t know that it hurts you. Having some 121 experience may help though.

I did the opposite 121 Training CA to FSI TCE /PM, then 91 Director of ops. Despite the rumors I have no issues hiring a 121 guy. Kind of assume recruiters don’t really care either if you’re a well rounded applicant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back