Part 121 FO back to freight?

fisher37

Hello All-

I was wondering what the chances would be for me to get into flying freight?

A company based where I live is looking for a pilot, however I don't meet their posted minimums for the job. They're asking for 1800 PIC. I only have about 700 PIC. Currently I'm just shy of 2,100 total time, 1500 multi and 1450 turbine.

Do companies hire from the airlines? I'm just wondering because I haven't done much operating single pilot, but I am comfortable with it.

Thanks for the replies!

That's good to hear. I never wanted to go to the airlines, not sure why I ended up here really! ha.

The only issue I'd see is going from glass(?) to gauges again, even then though, it's like riding a bike. Might receive some prejudice there however

I did the freight dog thing for about 16 months, and am now in training at a regional.

At my former employer as a Metro driver the best you could hope for was working 5-6 days a week, flying both 6-8 AM and PM. Two of the runs were DEN based, the rest you either lived in the outstation or commuted out on Mon and back in on Sat. Basically the majority of the pilot group had about 36 hours in DEN on the weekends, plus 5 eight hour overnights in DEN each week.

Compare to my current gig where as a line holder I'll have 12 days off minimum per week, and guys with a year plus seniority are getting 15 ish. Pay is going to be about the same as the Navajo at my last job.

Also, at the regional I'll never have to handle freight, chocks, engine blankets, or de ice my airplane with a broom.

So yeah, I worked for a bottom feeder UPS carrier, and some would say I'm now working for a bottom feeder regional. For me though the QOL gains have the potential to be huge.

I'd also dare say that long term advancement at the regionals is probably better than freight. There was a 12 year guy at my old employer that rumor had was making about 75K, flying four days a week, but I'd wager a 12 year regional guy is making a lot more than that, if he hasn't had the opportunity to move on to a bigger 121 operation already.

Skill wise you can do it. But why would you want to?

Better yet, get @Rudabega and @jtrain609 in the same room and have them compare QOL for you. Or get @Nark to compare his 121 and 135 / AK flying.

In the end, everyone has got their own deal, but @Derg has got it right when he says that ultimately MMMTO is really high on the list of things to accomplish.

Compare to my current gig where as a line holder I'll have 12 days off minimum per week, and guys with a year plus seniority are getting 15 ish. Pay is going to be about the same as the Navajo at my last job.

12 days per week? Thats pretty sweet. You must not work at all. I always thought there were seven days in a week. :)

12 days per week? Thats pretty sweet. You must not work at all. I always thought there were seven days in a week. :)
Dang it. This sim is rotting my brain. Must be all those brain cells that I don't need any more because it's the other guys responsibility to raise the gear now.

Sierra west airlines in el paso should not be too hard.
get metro pic and you will build up the time pretty quick. 135 auto freight

Last edited:
Back