Painting a T210

bdhill1979

Gone West
Two part question.

1. We got a reference from a guy that runs auto paint and detail shops about a place that did exceptionally good work on his airplanes. Problem is he cannot remember the name or exactly where they were, it was over five years ago and he is getting old. Somewhere north or east of Denver is all he can remember.

Can anybody think of a place that fits the geography?

2. Other than the above can anybody recommend a place that can do quality paint work:
a: without taking a year
b: that can provide pictures of past work
c: can provide references from previous customers
d: preferably west of the Mississippi

Having just had a miserable 8 month experience getting the dash redone (and it is still not done) the owner is going to be very picky about this project.

Look at my Avatar its my T210 done by my buddy. If your ever in SGU call me and ill tell you the hanger number to go check it out. It was redone a couple of years ago thanks to a sand storm in SGU. Its vegas gold with a yamaha saphire blue. He used an autobody shop in SGU and just pulled the wings off and trailered it down to paint booth. He also did the panel no more cheap cessna plastic up front. I miss flying the plane but the 99 is still a kick in the pants

Look at my Avatar its my T210 done by my buddy. If your ever in SGU call me and ill tell you the hanger number to go check it out. It was redone a couple of years ago thanks to a sand storm in SGU. Its vegas gold with a yamaha saphire blue. He used an autobody shop in SGU and just pulled the wings off and trailered it down to paint booth. He also did the panel no more cheap cessna plastic up front. I miss flying the plane but the 99 is still a kick in the pants
PM me your number, I am in SGU pretty often actually.

Contact the Cessna Pilot's Association, 805-934-0493. Just ask for the name and contact info for the paint shop at SMX that did John Frank's plane. That's Santa Maria, CA, KSMX. I have three very picky clients that have had their 210s painted at the same shop with excellent results. If you are a CPA Member, their tech guys and gals will occasionally stop by the paint shop to ensure all is well and proceeding properly.

Contact the Cessna Pilot's Association, 805-934-0493. Just ask for the name and contact info for the paint shop at SMX that did John Frank's plane. That's Santa Maria, CA, KSMX. I have three very picky clients that have had their 210s painted at the same shop with excellent results. If you are a CPA Member, their tech guys and gals will occasionally stop by the paint shop to ensure all is well and proceeding properly.

Artcraft I think is the name of that shop. We had a Bonanza painted there, excellent work.

I've been up to the paint shop in SMX with a previous company.

Give me a call if you'd like to hear about it, Ben.

Can't suggest a shop in your area, but for comparison purposes we are planning to paint our T210 also, and are getting a quote from a shop that we will most like use at S37.

With a single base color + stripes, new SS screws / fasteners and up to six hours of repair work the price is $12,000.

Then...

Whenever you paint consider that once the new paint is on that it might make other things look bad, and addressing those can mean extra $$$$.

Example: Our 2 chrome door handles are pitted. Replace, re-chrome, paint them?

The pitot tube should also be painted / polished. Not much $$ to do that, thankfully.

Windows? Aside from the windshield and back window, we will probably replace the 4 side windows (not in the best of shape). They are currently double-pane, but we might go with a single, thicker single pane.

We also decided that this would be the time to add Vortex Generators to the plane. Of course, that is certainly an elective / optional upgrade, but the shop would install them after the plane is primed then paint them as the plane is painted.

Another upgrade to consider at painting time, if you do not have them already are the "umbrella" fuel caps. We're going to pass on these, but it could be something to consider.

Painting the spinner or do you already have a polished one? If you have the former and would prefer the latter, this would be the time to do that. Thankfully we prefer and already have the latter.

Just some food for thought, and good luck with the project.:)

Now I have only been told this so I don't know how correct it is, but:

I have been told to not have it done in the state of California because the proper chemical strip agents are not allowed.

True, not true?

And yes, I am a CPA member

I've been up to the paint shop in SMX with a previous company.

Give me a call if you'd like to hear about it, Ben.
Well had my phone not gone swimming in the Toilet I would still have your number, so you may have to re-pm me that.

PS: I do have a new phone. I couldn't bear the thought of the stink phone.

Back