Overtime and pay

teetee

We are all well aware that overtime is a given with the FAA. I have a few questions about that.

1. How long until you are checked out far enough to have overtime be required?

2. How many hours a week is the average for overtime?

3. What is the pay rate for overtime?

Except for the pay rate (i believe it's 1.5x) the other things all depend on what facility you are at. They're all different.

We are all well aware that overtime is a given with the FAA. I have a few questions about that.

1. How long until you are checked out far enough to have overtime be required? at A80 you have to be checked out on two positions

2. How many hours a week is the average for overtime? again A80 about 12 sometimes 20

3. What is the pay rate for overtime?
1.5 times hourly wage

Thanks guys. Few more questions. Does anyone know how to find out what SLC requires with overtime? Is it online somewhere? If not, I will have to ask our neighbor at church this next week.

Is it known how much longer overtime will be in affect? With all the new hires, won't the overtime eventually go down?

Last, where do I check to see how long it is taking at SLC intl airport to get checked out?

Thanks guys. Few more questions. Does anyone know how to find out what SLC requires with overtime? Is it online somewhere? If not, I will have to ask our neighbor at church this next week.

Is it known how much longer overtime will be in affect? With all the new hires, won't the overtime eventually go down?

Last, where do I check to see how long it is taking at SLC intl airport to get checked out?

I seriously doubt you would be able to find this information online. I would suggest you call the facility you are assigned to, or visit them in person as each facility has different requirements for over time, and each controller takes different lenghts of time to check out.

I seriously doubt you would be able to find this information online. I would suggest you call the facility you are assigned to, or visit them in person as each facility has different requirements for over time, and each controller takes different lenghts of time to check out.

Amen to that. I've visited two facilities and asked a ton of questions. But the answers are unique to the facility so each person will have a different answer.

At a small municipal airport I visited I learned the following (some of this only applies to this particular airport): Aprox 2-3. months to checkout on ground, which gives you a payraise and chance for overtime. Apprx an additional 10 months for checkout on local, which gives another raise and more chance for overtime. Overtime varies greatly depending on vacations, sick leave and other factors, although this hasn't been a major issue. Vacations may be hard to get, and are sometimes revoked or not approved. The facility has 50% trainees, so it is already swamped with newbies (too many people for this facility, so either FAA is expecting to transfer some, fire some, or many retirements soon). Work day is 8-hours long, including a one-hour paid lunch and a few other breaks. There have been wash-outs at this facility, and there will continue to be wash-outs here. The workweek usually starts on the afternoon/night shift, and ends on a morning shift. This effectively extends your 'weekends' off since you get off early on your 'friday', and return late on your 'monday'.

At SEA, where I interviewed, they're working 8 hour days, 5 days a week and they only have 1 trainee now who's already checked out on ground and will soon be fully checked out. It varies widely from facility to facility

I'm a little concerned about future health. I am in excellent health, although my mom and dad have high cholesterol and moderately high blood pressure under control.

What are the chances that someone has to medically retire before they reach 20/25 years?
Are they relocated within the FAA, or is their career totally trashed?
Do they issue SODAs like they do for pilots?

My husband has been informed by 2 different controllers at SLC that SLC isn't allowing tours for anyone other than family members of controllers, otherwise he would have already done a tour. He is going to talk to the people again tonight and see if he can get a tour now that is in the interview process.

Thanks guys. Few more questions. Does anyone know how to find out what SLC requires with overtime? This is not available online. You will have to visit the facility and ask.
Is it online somewhere? No If not, I will have to ask our neighbor at church this next week. Good idea if that person works at SLC.

Is it known how much longer overtime will be in affect? No With all the new hires, won't the overtime eventually go down? In a sense yes, but that will take some time (probably years). For the first 20+ years of my career, I do not think I worked more than 3 total OT shifts. This has all changed in the last 2 years.

Last, where do I check to see how long it is taking at SLC intl airport to get checked out? You will have to ask that contact you have. This data is not available online anywhere for the public.

Thanks for the answers! I was hoping to get the answers before Sunday but I guess we will wait. My husband knows 2 guys that work at SLC...one just finished getting checked out and the other will retire in about a year. We will have to pick both of their brains I guess.

I'm a little concerned about future health. I am in excellent health, although my mom and dad have high cholesterol and moderately high blood pressure under control.

What are the chances that someone has to medically retire before they reach 20/25 years?
Are they relocated within the FAA, or is their career totally trashed?
Do they issue SODAs like they do for pilots?

All of those medical conditions can be controlled by a healthy lifestyle. I'm not being disrespectful, but while working in the medical field for a few years most people with those conditions were alittle overweight and were not active. Be the opposite and it won't be a problem

I see you're a train conductor, if this is true, can you give me any information about a train dispatcher? I found a job in my area and the pay isn't that bad but was wondering about the schedule of such a job.

Thanks

I see you're a train conductor, if this is true, can you give me any information about a train dispatcher? I found a job in my area and the pay isn't that bad but was wondering about the schedule of such a job.
Thanks

PM sent

If anyone is having trouble becoming an ATC, consider the following open announcement. BNSF railway is hiring train dispatchers right now on http://bnsf.com/careers/jobs.html at their central location in Fort Worth, Texas. The pay isn't too bad. Training is at $225/day, and I believe checked out is $270/day with excellent benefits. Training included, but expect lots of shift work and 'on-call' hours.

My husband has been informed by 2 different controllers at SLC that SLC isn't allowing tours for anyone other than family members of controllers, otherwise he would have already done a tour. He is going to talk to the people again tonight and see if he can get a tour now that is in the interview process.

when i had my interview at SLC they gave me a nice long tour afterwards. I would think if he is in the process he could call and ask for one.

hence the reason we all want ATC jobs:crazy:

you obviously missed the "lol" part.

I know you were just kidding, but folks, this job is NOT about the money. You have got to want to take this job for the right reasons. It WILL tear you apart. You will go home some days after a crash/incident and feel like the world is collapsing around you/you will have nightmares and be a basket case on some occasions. I am not going to be able to express how fun/tragic/difficult/thrilling this job can be. But know this, it is not about the money. You have got to want it bad and be willing to sacrifice a SH**load of personal life as well as your significant other doing the same. I know all jobs have their struggles/idiosyncrasies/crappy parts, but this job is like no other. You WILL age prematurely, it is a fact. Your life span will be shorter than others...another documented fact.

Just please do it for the right reasons...and money ain't it.

Back